n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:51 am

Forum rules

This is where you tell your tales. This isn't a forum for links or boobs. This is just like you're in the pub, you tell stories.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 LOL @ Dell 
[n00b] Member

Post LOL @ Dell
Well about a week ago, I thought it'd be a good idea to play with encryption, so I downloaded this program called TrueCrypt which allows you to encrypt files, drives, and operating systems. It even lets you encrypt things twice so that even if you give out one password, nothing's in the file/drive without having the proper clearance to get to the actual stuff inside the container.

ANYWAY, I decided to create a partition to store all of my really personal things and went with a three-way attack of AES/TwoFish/Serpent encryption, all 256-bit and I used a 46-character random password. Good, it works. I decrypt the drive and put things in it (you can only detect the presence of encrypted drives using the TrueCrypt program, but if you just straight try to decrypt the drive it doesn't show up as being there). I re-encrypt the drive. I decrypt it again and put some more stuff in it, and then sew it shut once more.

Meanwhile, I'm doing some maintenance on the ol 'puter as that seems to be the order of the day, and I'm asked to restart the machine, so I do this.

As soon as the bios screen flashes by, the screen turns black and all I see are the words

MISSING OPERATING SYS

F*CK!!!

So being in a ghetto state of existence, my choices are as follows:

Wait, or install Ubuntu and try to fix it from there because I can't install XP due to the need of SATA drivers which do not come on the standard installation CD, so I install Ubuntu.

Ubuntu won't connect to the internet because the version I installed was 8.04.1 Hardy Heron, which I got in the mail 3 years ago and due to the chipset on my computer being brand new (shitty but new), it doesn't recognize my network interface and I can't get online. Wonderful.

flash forward 2 days of trying to get it to just -work- and failing...

Finally, I head over to my mom's cuz I wanted to spend some time there anyway, hadn't visited in forever and she's got better internet than I do.

I refused to torrent and needed to find a way to run Internet Explorer in Ubuntu, which I had updated to the most recent release 11.04 Natty Narwhal, and after three reboots this version gets me online and I try every trick in the book to get IE working properly (don't even try it unless you're running Virtual Box and even that's not perfect). I manage to get a version if IE7 working but unfortunately the plugins that I need to do the job of rendering a certain webpage of utmost importance just doesn't load properly (The plugin is called the Macromedia Authorware Player, which went out of style in 2004 and has since been discontinued, but is still available for posterity's sake).

After 2 days of just straight trying, I finish with every possible avenue of linux fuckery and settle on an I am a homosexual and start looking around for a legitimate W7 download, which I realized I already had access to, having bought the Student Upgrade a year ago, and so then I try downloading it with all manner of program. I tried Firefox, Chrome, and IE7, and I even tried using Deluge, Transmission and FatRat but no dice. It turns out that all of those programs fail at downloading certain types of files of certain sizes in very specific situations and luckily, I discover the
Code:
wget http://www.url.com/file.lol
command, which saves my bacon.

So, after attempting to download the thing about 10 times with programs, wget downloads it without a hitch, and at a faster rate of speed than the others (they'd all fail at about the 2 gig mark, right on the dot). I burn the thing to a DVD and proceed to install it to my other partition. But wait, there's more!!

You can't install Windows over a Linux installation even if it's on a separate partition, unless you're equipped to splice in a bootloader that handles both OSes after the fact (thanks Jimmy, after I already finished lol), so my entire linux partition is toast. It still exists, but it can't be touched because like a dipshit I chose to have it pre-encrypted.

...Whew!!

So I try to just go with the install but it won't let me because it's an upgrade CD, and so I get pissed and dump the whole thing, run GParted and wipe the hard drive of OSes and run the Ubuntu Live CD to see what I can do about this new gob of shhhh....

Well, it turns out that if you, like me, had at one time possessed a legitimate copy of a previous version of Windows, particularly XP or Vista, but don't have it anymore, you only have two recourses: Call Microsoft and whine about it until you get your way, or install from scratch without using the Key, and then Upgrade that install and use the key on that instance.

AWESOMESAUCE FTW!!!

So, what went on during the time I was stressing about trying to get Internet Explorer to run a website (it wouldn't run in any other browser even with a user agent switcher), was that I emailed Dell and asked for install CDs.

And this, my friends, after finally fixing the problem myself, is where I find THAT end of the rope (keep in mind I got the computer for christmas and although I do have the receipt, it's in another state right now):

Code:
Dear Kwang, 

Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support.

My name is Naina and I will be assisting you with your Dell Inspiron D560 (Service Tag: ******* ) with Windows 7.

I assure you that I will utilize all my resources and knowledge to resolve the issue to your satisfaction.

I understand from your e-mail that you have requested the CDs for the system.

Kwang , after reviewing your information, we will be glad to assist  you with this issue, however, I request you to let us know the purchase date of the system as we need to transfer the ownership of the system in your name. The system is still registered in the name of the retailer from where it was purchased.

Also I would request you to provide the information below:
?   Name of the owner (to which the system should be registered).
?   Shipping Address of the owner (to which the system should be registered).
?   Telephone number.
?   Purchase date of the system.

Once the ownership has been transferred we can determine the status of the warranty of the system and create the dispatch for the Cds.

The Service Request number for this interaction is 123456789. The case has been documented and the contents of this case are available to all Dell Support representatives. If you need additional assistance with this issue and you utilize our phone or chat support channels, please provide them with this Service Request number. For additional assistance via e-mail, simply reply to this e-mail.

We value your time and response. For any further assistance kindly reply to this email or  you may also feel free to visit our Online Technical Support Center at: http://support.dell.com or call our 24x7 Technical Support Center at 1-800-624-9896.
Thank you for choosing Dell.

Regards,
Naina Sandhu

Week offs -Thursday and Friday.

Dell Technical Support
When responding, please use the REPLY function of your e-mail program. This will ensure that the subject line does not change. Otherwise, your message may be delayed or lost. If I am not available, one of my colleagues will reply in order to ensure a timely resolution.

DISCLAIMER
The information in this document has been reviewed and is believed to be accurate. However, neither Dell nor its affiliates assume any responsibility for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions that may be contained herein. In no event will Dell or its affiliates be liable for direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages resulting from any defect or omission in this document, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.

Dell reserves the right to make improvements or changes to this document and the products and services described at any time, without notice or obligation. This information applies to the continental United States and Canada only, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Name: Kwang
Email Address: ******@gmail.com
Phone number: **********
------ Original Ship To Address ------
Street address 1: *** **** St.
Street address 2:
City: *******
State: ME
Zip code: *****
Zip code extension:
 ------ Current Ship To Address Info ------
Street address 1:
Street address 2:
City:
State:
Zip code:
Zip code extension:
Request Reason: Other
Request Details: Missing Operating Sys <--error.

Computer did not come with back-up disc, wouldn't successfully create back-up media when I tried before the error occurred.
Service Tag: ********
Invoice/Order Number:
Comments:

LMFAO LOLOLOL

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:24 am
n00bfest Elder, Senior Admin

Post Re: LOL @ Dell
I don't get it.

strangelegend@n00bfest.com

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 am
Profile WWW
n00bfest Ancient, Senior Admin

she asked for information that was in the original email he sent to dell....

Man is not free unless government is limited.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.

We should measure welfare's success by how many people leave welfare, not by how many are added.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:32 pm
n00bfest Elder, Senior Admin

Werd, maybe that data didn't match?

:D

Get that all the time.

strangelegend@n00bfest.com

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

No, Dell are just douchebags.