n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 First Sun Nerd Language Campaign is LIVE! 
Retired n00bfest O.G.

Post First Sun Nerd Language Campaign is LIVE!
Share it, scream it, post it, and back it!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/166 ... m-campaign

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:32 pm
Game Server Admin

Post Re: First Sun Nerd Language Campaign is LIVE!
Woot!!

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:42 pm
Forum Newbie

Just backed it hope you meet your goal

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:35 pm
Retired n00bfest O.G.

Thank you!

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:37 pm
[n00b] Member

I took the liberty of fixing a couple of typographical errors in this (two instances of 'game' in the first sentence, and Soulcalibur instead of Soul Calibur):

homas started playing guitar and computer video games like Quake, Quake II, and Unreal Tournament while jamming to the tunes from each game’s soundtrack at the age of twelve. Because of the heavy industrial influence, Thomas began experimenting with DAWs and finally decided to start producing electronic music himself. Thomas is now working on his third album release titled “Nerd Language“, following his single “Fire on a Stick” and first album EP, “Recalling Life”.

Thomas has become close friends with Andrew “Zircon” Aversa, who tutored him early in his career. Andrew is an award-winning video-game musical artist who has worked on various game and TV titles (Monkey Island 2: Special Edition, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Soul Calibur V), TV (Heroes, Skins, MTV, Touch). Thomas is attending Full Sail University in Orlando, FL for his Bachelor’s degree in Recording Arts, while continuing to work on his music career, both as artist and producer.

Also, just backed Nerd Language.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:06 am
[n00b] Member

Wat happen?

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:27 am
Forum Newbie

yeah what happened i thought funding was till september?

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:57 am
Retired n00bfest O.G.

I hadn't received any pledges for four days so I decided to kill it off.

At the beginning of this thing, I told everyone it would rely solely on them to fund this, and I'm sorry to admit that I just don't have the backing.
Today I removed my Facebook page, both personally and through First Sun. It's pretty unfortunate that even my own family didn't donate a single penny to the campaign. I'm pretty sure that's what put me over the edge on it.

I hate to say it, but this album will probably be unreleased because I cannot come up with the funds to put it on CD as it was meant to be. The point of this album was to take a step into the real world with real music on a real cd with real artwork. After watching how much the pledges were for after the first three days, the pledges immediately stopped coming in. I really didn't want to ruin what reputation I had with a failed KS campaign.

Hey, but thanks to all those who did participate (all whopping twelve of them, heh...)! That really does mean a lot to me!

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:50 am
[n00b] Member

acid_rain wrote:
I hadn't received any pledges for four days so I decided to kill it off.

At the beginning of this thing, I told everyone it would rely solely on them to fund this, and I'm sorry to admit that I just don't have the backing.
Today I removed my Facebook page, both personally and through First Sun. It's pretty unfortunate that even my own family didn't donate a single penny to the campaign. I'm pretty sure that's what put me over the edge on it.

I hate to say it, but this album will probably be unreleased because I cannot come up with the funds to put it on CD as it was meant to be. The point of this album was to take a step into the real world with real music on a real cd with real artwork. After watching how much the pledges were for after the first three days, the pledges immediately stopped coming in. I really didn't want to ruin what reputation I had with a failed KS campaign.

Hey, but thanks to all those who did participate (all whopping twelve of them, heh...)! That really does mean a lot to me!

How long did you set your kickstarter for? Did you really expect to raise the 2.2k you wanted in a matter of days? I think your being all butt hurt for nothing. But its really your loss, you should've stuck it out or even made it longer.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:41 pm
Retired n00bfest O.G.

Nah, I'm not butt-hurt. It's not that big of a deal.
After looking through the spreadsheets of donations, the average donation had dropped to $20. The gap had become so big that it would have taken about four donations of $200 to actually catch up. It had just snowballed pretty badly.

My first release was absolutely horrid compared to this release. This probably would've made it on Pandora, and would have been my only real chance at gaining exposure. I chose for an all-or-nothing approach, and before the campaign began, I told everyone that this would "make or break me".

Bottom line: at the rate I was going without receiving pledges, it would've not been any better and the project still wouldn't have funded. People just don't have money nowadays to drop 100+ on a random dude's album. I think when you've done this for two years as an artist you know when you've won and when you've lost. It's easier to let go of things early, than let them keep running along snowballing badly which can, and will affect your publicity/following quite a bit.

As far as the Facebook is concerned, I had a total of 113 people who had liked my page within two years. That's not very good. The majority of those people were family and really close friends. I decided to shut down that page since it was more difficult to handle on a regular basis when the reception was only about 4%. That means out of 113 people, only 5 people actually read the post. Of those 5 people, only 1-2 would share the status or like it. That's not very good at all, so it got cut.

My website will stay up, I just won't have a Facebook page. Being an indie artist is not easy, managing pr, doing websites, graphics, promotions, and creating/packaging/merch production isn't easy on your own. Some things just had to be cut from my work-table as I get ready to head to school soon.

Here's a good article on some of the mistakes that were made on my end, but some mistakes I also avoided with what knowledge I had regarding how long kickstarters last, etc.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/suwcharmana ... s-numbers/

You see, the longer you make a kickstarter, the longer people hold off to pledge, and eventually forget. They claim that there's still lots of time, so there's no sense of urgency to fund money for the project. I did a ton of research before I started this, it just wasn't looking good.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that there's still ways of supporting me. There's been a donate button on my firstsunmusic.com website since day one, but nobody's ever used it. For those really supported me with kickstarter, they still can. I will still push to earn to money to eventually release the album the way it was meant to, I just won't have a deadline now.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:06 pm
[n00b] Member

Just make the bread and butter your biscuit so we can get this.

I'll be sending you my $10 soon. :)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:34 pm
Forum Newbie

Why don't you do a digital release and once you've saved the funds to put it on cd then do it. Don't just give up cause you'll never achive your goals by doing that. Let me know what you deciede to do. I really would like a copy of that cd :)

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:57 am
Retired n00bfest O.G.

I still have plans to do it on CD, it's just going to be really tough financially. I mean to say, that's what I'd like to do. I promise if it does happen, you guys will be the first to know.

Trust me, I haven't given up.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:00 am
Forum Newbie

ill be the first to use the donate button if it hasn't been used to help you out a bit. Won't be much but something is better then nothing right?

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:01 am
Retired n00bfest O.G.

Sure is, thanks man. The bare minimum to get the cd's cut with artwork and all would be $1000. That's for 300 CD's, artwork, barcode and all. Pretty tough shit.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:04 am
[n00b] Member

You could also start with a company like http://www.cdbaby.com if you just want to have some physical copies that look good and you can hand out to people in public.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:10 am
Retired n00bfest O.G.

That's actually who I'm already using.
My first release was through them.
http://www.cdbaby.com/firstsun

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:34 am
[n00b] Member

Well what you could do is get out there with some physical copies at places down in FL that play your kind of music. I know you're a father but it should be possible to get a babysitter a few nights and just go partying with the woman and hand your shit out along with contact information/website.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:21 pm
Retired n00bfest O.G.

Maybe when it's finished I'll do something like that.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:05 pm
[n00b] Member

acid_rain wrote:
Maybe when it's finished I'll do something like that.

Yeah, from what I understand of the things you posted up here, is that networking is what you need.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next