n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 4:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Elite/League Server? 
Spammer Hopeful

Post Elite/League Server?
Kwang brought it up in another thread and with the BF3 server down recently I thought I'd make a post since I'd think the box has room to spare.

20 man server with only league maps for the rotation, zBlock, a vote team scramble and no gun limitations. Can't think of anything else to add to keep a pub semi-competitive.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:52 am
Profile WWW
n00bfest Council

Post Re: Elite/League Server?
I love this idea, its been done in the past...
People just dont play in it..
I think if it is done it would be a good idea to cap it at 16 people, have 4v4 bots and have them eliminated when a real person joins.
That way youre not sitting in an empty server and you atleast have shit to shoot.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:09 am
Profile YIM
[n00b] Member

We've had elite server for as long as I can remember but it source it just seems to always fail. CZ didnt have this problem.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:27 pm
Game Server Admin

Idk I think if you look around there are plenty of active competitive servers out there and like mossy said as long as you had some bots you could troll while waiting for the main or share occupancy.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:22 pm
Game Server Admin

I would play in the Elite server if it were populated. I know there are a lot of people that also support this idea as well. With us having a dedicated box shouldnt be a big deal to change the tourney server 2 into the elite server, then change it back when we run tourneys.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:14 pm
Spammer Hopeful

Just advertise in in the messages in the regular server and people will probably join it.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

davep wrote:
Just advertise in in the messages in the regular server and people will probably join it.

honestly? wrote:
I would play in the Elite server if it were populated. I know there are a lot of people that also support this idea as well. With us having a dedicated box shouldnt be a big deal to change the tourney server 2 into the elite server, then change it back when we run tourneys.

Yeah, just use zBlock to mod the damn thing. That way a lot of the badness from randies is minimized as well as allowing for automation of certain functions.

Advertising doesn't work that well on the main. We had a fun maps server and the only time it was populated was when n00bs took initiative to go in there on purpose for the sake of populating it.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:17 pm
Spammer Hopeful

Maybe if you lowered the amount of people allowed on the server on the server it wouldn't be a problem, it would be full and they'd switch.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

davep wrote:
Maybe if you lowered the amount of people allowed on the server on the server it wouldn't be a problem, it would be full and they'd switch.

16 max, would prefer 5v5 with spec slots. Already went over this. zBlock has an ESEA-style automated scrim feature last time I checked.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:37 am
[n00b] Member

davep wrote:

That'd defeat the purpose of main. The "elite server" is not meant to replace main just to supplement it's tryhards with awps and competitive style gaming. Elite server with all these features has existed in the past. It's honestly as Mossy said, people don't play in it. I've seen the elite server appear and disappear too many times to count lol

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:45 am
[n00b] Member

Bleep wrote:
davep wrote:

That'd defeat the purpose of main. The "elite server" is not meant to replace main just to supplement it's tryhards with awps and competitive style gaming. Elite server with all these features has existed in the past. It's honestly as Mossy said, people don't play in it. I've seen the elite server appear and disappear too many times to count lol

The way I mentioned having it structured, it would:

a.) limit the necessity of admins to coming in to make bans.
b.) have a unique appeal to lots of people in the gaming community.
c.) cater to our scarming in the event that we can't field 10 n00bs.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:49 am
Game Server Admin

I agree somewhat with kwang but like bleep said it has risen and died many of times before. People keep saying stuff about scrim server 2 but i havent seen it up in a long time????

Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:42 pm
[n00b] Member

Virgil wrote:
I agree somewhat with kwang but like bleep said it has risen and died many of times before. People keep saying stuff about scrim server 2 but i havent seen it up in a long time????

There are two "Tournament Servers", it's possible that one was taken down momentarily, as we're not running any tournaments at this time.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:55 pm
Game Server Admin

Kwang! wrote:
Virgil wrote:

There are two "Tournament Servers", it's possible that one was taken down momentarily, as we're not running any tournaments at this time.

This is what I was saying. Take down server 2 and make it the elite server. We never have 20 on wanting to scrim and have a need for both servers. Its not hard to switch from private to pub either. So when we get ready to run a tournament we convert it back to server 2. Even if the elite server sits idle for 5 out of 7 nights that is way more use than the 2nd tourney server gets now.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:04 pm
[n00b] Member

honestly? wrote:
Kwang! wrote:
Virgil wrote:

This is what I was saying. Take down server 2 and make it the elite server. We never have 20 on wanting to scrim and have a need for both servers. Its not hard to switch from private to pub either. So when we get ready to run a tournament we convert it back to server 2. Even if the elite server sits idle for 5 out of 7 nights that is way more use than the 2nd tourney server gets now.

QFT

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:11 pm
n00bfest Asshole

So this is the "flavor of the week" huh? Well...here's what's going to happen: you guys MIGHT get this, and then a week after that, it'll be dead and you guys want something else. I've seen it all too many times around here.

I hope Tom Brady gets anally raped in Hell.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:22 pm
n00bfest Council

SHOTTYFEST?!

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:55 pm
Profile YIM
Game Server Admin

JoeMamma wrote:
So this is the "flavor of the week" huh? Well...here's what's going to happen: you guys MIGHT get this, and then a week after that, it'll be dead and you guys want something else. I've seen it all too many times around here.

This is exactly my point. Even if the server is dead for most of the time, it will get more use than it does now. My question is why does it matter if it sits idle most of the time? It sits idle all of the time right now. Even if it gets used 1 day out of the week thats more than it gets used now, so I dont see what the problem is. I know there are a lot of regulars in the server as well as a lot of n00bs that would like to be able to awp and be a tryhard with other tryhards.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:58 pm
[n00b] Member

I'd play their often.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:41 am
Spammer Hopeful

honestly? wrote:
JoeMamma wrote:

This is exactly my point. Even if the server is dead for most of the time, it will get more use than it does now. My question is why does it matter if it sits idle most of the time? It sits idle all of the time right now. Even if it gets used 1 day out of the week thats more than it gets used now, so I dont see what the problem is. I know there are a lot of regulars in the server as well as a lot of n00bs that would like to be able to awp and be a tryhard with other tryhards.

I'd have to agree, if there's already a tournament server passworded just sitting there then it's the same thing as switching it to the Elite server and making it public and advertising it in the main server and no one joining. You aren't losing/gaining anything from making a 2nd server that no one plays on, just giving people an option.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next