n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Dude, we need this 
n00bfest Elder, Lead Developer

Post Dude, we need this
http://www.mod-buildcraft.com

Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:51 am
[n00b] Member

Post Re: Dude, we need this
YES! I saw this like 2-3 months ago and I was trying to get Deadman to watch it but he never did.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:13 am
n00bfest Elder, Senior Admin

Omg that is badass.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:24 pm
fomenta's bitch

Here's what I was talking about last night menta

Go to 4:30 to see what happens if you leave your nuclear reactor unattended

Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:31 pm

Is there any interest to see a 1.1 server set up with these mods? It'd be survival mode, so it wouldn't be a free for all -- maybe with creepers turned off but the rest of the mobs still there. Buildcraft and Redpower are both fully updated to 1.1 and work well together apparently.

Thoughts?

Edit: If we do this, I'd upload a zip with the minecraft.jar and mods folder, to ease client installation.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:54 pm
[n00b] Member

So, I did watch this back when someone showed it to me months ago, more than likely that is what you were referring to Pit Stop. I didn't watch it right away, but I did watch it. I'm about as interested in it now as I was then, and that's not very much. If you guys want a server with that, it would have to be after the tournament. There's enough issues with memory having the two that are already running and having the tourney servers up is using even more. Not only that, but the server would more than likely require more memory than we have been using, which before the pre-release server was 1.5GB for just one, but that is now split over the 1.1 and 1.2 servers, and when 1.2 rolls out, the 1.1 server is going to be updated to 1.2 and given 1.5GB again, while the 1.2 pre-release server will be shut down. This all runs into the issues we've been having and why we have been going with a very small amount of plugins; it uses up more resources. So unless we get more memory for the server or someone runs this off their machine like when acid was running the Minecraft server off his computer, I'd rather not deal with this.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:47 pm

I'm not convinced that adding plugins makes a significant difference in terms of memory usage or cpu time over vanilla. I think thats overblown. Minecraft uses as much memory as it does because idiots run half way across the world to put down their house and minecraft wants to allow fast access to that stuff, so it keeps it in memory

The thing is, I'm not sure people will understand how cool it is until they play it.

I'll see if I can't get a server running all this set up and a single download for those who wanna test it.

Basically, if you like running around and killing creeps, getting xp, this isn't for you.

But if you're into building things more than mining, and want some cool extensions that get you past the "okay I have like 30 stacks of iron and 10 stacks of gold -- this is boring" point, you should at least check it out.

The mods I'm starting with are:
-- BuildCraft
-- Equivalent Exchange
-- RedPower

I'll post details if I can get a multiplayer server working. Right now I have it working perfectly in single player 1.1

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:23 pm
[n00b] Member

Sweet, i will test it out, i have used this mod on SP and its great

"OH BABY YOU BOUGHT ME A HALLMARK CARD AND SOME F*CKING ROSES. PLEASE BUST A LOAD IN MY SNATCH AND LET'S MAKE A CRITTER"
"LOL K"
*SPLAT*

-Gman

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:41 pm
[n00b] Member

The minimally modded server is going to be up, regardless of whatever else we got going on. People were talking about having a Creative Server for testing and doing whatever, but either way there's still the issue of memory. Even if the mod doesn't add much, it's going to be on a completely different server, which will require more memory.

That being said, I'm not trying to be an asshole and shaft everyone out of trying something new, but at the same time it'll shaft those that like things as is by doing that.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:42 pm
[n00b] Member

I thought I'd add this having had an experience where memory has been an issue outside of the usual lag. Depending on how much you use redstone, circuits working correctly can depend entirely on the processing power and amount of memory of the server. I've had circuits that would work for a little while on the server I sometimes host on my laptop. They would eventually stop working after a few minutes because there wasn't enough memory, and obviously my laptop was handling a server and my client. When I allocated more memory to the server, it worked. When I tried the same thing on the n00bfest server when we had 1.5GB allocated, it worked. Venturing on the world I was using was within 1000 blocks of spawn.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:02 pm

It should never have needed 1.5GB of memory. Shared minecraft hosting companies[1] (I just found out they exist) only break 1GB for 70 simultaneous player slots. We've never come anywhere near that. If memory is a real issue, we should look into optimization.

[1] http://www.mossycobble.com/minecraft-hosting#shared

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:14 pm
[n00b] Member

Optimization is more than likely part of the issue. We also run more than Minecraft on our server.

EDIT: Realize shared servers are probably the same thing, but it says nothing in regards to what all is going on, and memory isn't the only factor.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:20 pm
Game Server Admin

This shit looks awesome!

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:08 pm
[n00b] Member

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:07 pm
Retired n00bfest O.G.

Tazzaler wrote:

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:31 pm
[n00b] Member

mmmmmmm yes please lets add this :>

n00bfest Tournament #6 - part of winning team 3

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:07 am
[n00b] Member

Would kind of like to know things are happening with this before it's just being done.

That being said, I'd like to say I'm not completely against doing any sort of mods, but if we're going to start doing any of this, there's got to be some sort of realistic thinking going on aside from saying "I want this mod, let's do it now.". Maybe a discussion of server expansion is required? Or maybe server addition, whichever.

For now, if this mod works on the 1.1 server we got up, great. We'll need to gauge how it is affecting everything that has nothing to deal with Minecraft as well. The CS:S Main server has been experiencing lag spikes lately, not sure if that has anything to do with this. There's also the upcoming tournament, so we have to consider those servers.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]