n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 BF3 is starting to piss me off 
[n00b] Member

Post BF3 is starting to piss me off
OK, maybe I am past starting to get pissed off.

The game F*CKING completely locks up frequently after anywhere from 2-10 minutes in multiplayer mode with a never ending short sample sound loop. When this happens my only option is to hard restart my system as everything is completely unresponsive.

I have run both FurMark and Kombustor burn in tests on my GPU on extreme settings for hours, and also ran Memory Diagnostics in extended mode overnight as well and found no errors. All my drivers are up to date and I can run in single player mode BF3 for extended periods of time with no issues.

I tried doing a clean install of the GeForce drivers with the HD audio and 3d Vision items deselected to no avail. Apparently there are a bunch of people experiencing the same problem as well, and the only suggestion I have left to try is disabling my onboard audio chip and buying an addon card.

I tried playing with Strange and Omega last night and it was ridiculous. I could not stay in game for 5 minutes without locking up and having to restart and I gave up after an hour or so of dicking around with it. At this point I am about to demand a refund from EA for dumping a piece of shit software product on me and stealing my money for the license fee.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:07 pm
[n00b] Member

Post Re: BF3 is starting to piss me off
I can play the game but I have to have the settings pretty low and I have to close steam because of teh memory or else it gets all unresponsive too.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:56 am
[n00b] Member

yeah it's amazing how often the problem is sound with lockups in games. I've also seen them with network drivers. does your event log say anything?

it's either:
GPU overheat/defect/driver
RAM overheat/defect
Mobo defect
CPU overheat/defect
Network driver
Sound defect/driver

Player [[n00b] Reborn''] [STEAM_0:1:456925]
Time 02/21/2010 @ 17:17:03

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:54 pm
[n00b] Member

dirkdeagler wrote:
yeah it's amazing how often the problem is sound with lockups in games. I've also seen them with network drivers. does your event log say anything?

it's either:
GPU overheat/defect/driver
RAM overheat/defect
Mobo defect
CPU overheat/defect
Network driver
Sound defect/driver

Definitely agree with the list, and I have stressed all relevant internal components components under extreme conditions so its down to the network or sound. I see a lot more posts from people who went with disabling the onboard sound chip in BIOS and installing an expansion sound card who have fixed the problem than anything else, and I have tried everything else first.

I have definitely minimized the problem at this point using various suggestions on support forums that made sense. Probably the most effective one was underclocking the video card by about 10%, which seemed right since there is obviously a thread deadlocking in the driver due to a poorly implemented cache or something else timing related. In any case it still happens often enough so I went ahead and picked up a Creative XF-1 on Ebay for $69, hopefully it will fix it once and for all.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:12 pm
n00bfest Elder, Senior Admin

Sucks man.

Should've went ahead and disabled the sound card first, then tried it to make sure it will fix it.

strangelegend@n00bfest.com

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Forum Newbie

If it's multiplayer I would definitely look at your networking settings. BF3 isn't very well coded so I wouldn't be surprised to find that if there was some kind of network hiccup it would just crash the system.

Also: lol necropost

Fact.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:11 pm
[HNIC] Stзamroller ω

It's fixed now.

Raddue, you need to get your ass in Vent and play with us.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
-- Hunter S Thompson

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/fo ... 6852310/1/

Fixed most of my problems a few days ago... I also upgraded to two xfx 6770 as well.

The Chicago Bears are the best NFL team in NFL History...dont believe me, check the NFL hall of fame and see how many players are from the Bears. Seems like someone from our d goes to the pro bowl yearly... prove me wrong.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:41 pm
Profile YIM
[n00b] Member

I went through all that and more. Was at the point where the only thing I had left to try was some crazy ass customization of the Windows loader that some guy claimed fixed his shit and there was no way I was gonna hack on that. I finally found a post from a guy that seemed pretty smart who had gone through all the grief I had and tried it all himself who fixed the problem by switching the PhysX setting from "Select the best processor" to "Always use my GPU" in the nVidea control panel.

Tried that shit and it worked like a charm...have not locked up once since then in almost 60 hours of game time. Turns out that the first setting will always default to using the CPU unless you have a dedicated PhysX card. That will work fine for most games, but BF3 is extraordinarily demanding and unless you have a high end CPU it won't be able to keep up most of the time. My box has a quad core Q9450 which is a few years old so it was barfing.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:28 pm
Raging Knight

Good to hear the problem was fixed. I ended up doing the same thing. Now to fix the lag/freeze/crash problem...

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Field Nigga

That doesn't make any sense if a quad core can't handle it that makes me believe the game was not coded well or something on the dev side happened with cutting corners for a release date. I have the q6600 oc to 2.66 and my game was lagging and shit bad and clorox told me to do this fix.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:17 pm
[n00b] Member

Greatness wrote:
That doesn't make any sense if a quad core can't handle it that makes me believe the game was not coded well or something on the dev side happened with cutting corners for a release date. I have the q6600 oc to 2.66 and my game was lagging and shit bad and clorox told me to do this fix.

It's definitely the age of the processor rather than the number of cores. The processing power of today's CPU's is ten times what it was when I last bought. Basically my quad core at 100% utilization could not keep up with a one core of an i7, and BF3 is an intense game with heavy reliance on PhysX so my CPU was being overwhelmed. The GPU on my GTX 480 is fully capable of doing both graphics and PhysX at highest settings running 2560x1600 resolution, so it's no big deal letting it handle the load.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:55 pm
[n00b] Member

Shredder wrote:
Greatness wrote:

It's definitely the age of the processor rather than the number of cores. The processing power of today's CPU's is ten times what it was when I last bought. Basically my quad core at 100% utilization could not keep up with a one core of an i7, and BF3 is an intense game with heavy reliance on PhysX so my CPU was being overwhelmed. The GPU on my GTX 480 is fully capable of doing both graphics and PhysX at highest settings running 2560x1600 resolution, so it's no big deal letting it handle the load.

Dude, I have dual xfx R6770 and a core i7 930 with 6 GB of tripple channel and this game STILL is a pain in the ass system wise. I ended up going with the "custom" settings to reduce issues.

The Chicago Bears are the best NFL team in NFL History...dont believe me, check the NFL hall of fame and see how many players are from the Bears. Seems like someone from our d goes to the pro bowl yearly... prove me wrong.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:13 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]