n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 steam friends 
[n00b] Member

Post steam friends
please help me to get steam friends working in game please. If nobody has an answer I will reinstall. I can't even remember how long it's been going on, but when I shift + tab nothing happens. I also have my game crash if I tab out, so i have the choice to chat or frag Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_39 help me!

Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:21 am
Game Server Admin

Post Re: steam friends
Right click bottom right Steam icon, Settings > In-Game > see if enable is checked and your key is still the same.

icemaN: i was droppin wards like they were turds

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:03 am
[n00b] Member

it is Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_50 and it's enabled

Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:17 am
[n00b] Member

Did you check your power supply?

Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:15 pm
Game Server Admin

Yeah, Acid was telling me something the other week about how power supplies on the top have something wrong with them and how Steam communicates with your machine, I'll get him in here to talk about it.

icemaN: i was droppin wards like they were turds

Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:09 pm
Retired n00bfest O.G.

Yeah, so the thing with the power supplies is that when the power supply is on the top for some reason it causes the 12v rail not to run at full power. I have no idea why it does this but it causes issues with memory. What happens is the memory doesn't get full power and causes a visual c++ runtime error in Steam that doesn't report causing the friends to never display. Try taking the power supply out and laying it the other way around on the floor or get a case that has a power supply that can be put on the bottom.

If you take the power supply out lay it upside down. You might want to post a picture once you've done this so I can make sure that it's in the right posistion. Let me know once you've done it.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:56 pm
Game Server Admin

acid_rain wrote:
Yeah, so the thing with the power supplies is that when the power supply is on the top for some reason it causes the 12v rail not to run at full power. I have no idea why it does this but it causes issues with memory.

It's cause by the temperature and humidity differences (as we all now hotter and more humid air moves up). Humidity causes that the power supplies located on the top have their efficiency decreased (depending on the humidity level 3 to 25%). To be more specific the humidity increases the electromagnetic waves interference between power supply's capacitors and inductors.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

okay i hate my laptop.....nothing i can do. no wonder reinstalling over and over again just seemed to FAIL. thank you everyone.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:34 pm
n00bfest Elder, Lead Developer

This kind of outlines how you can reconfigure a computer stand to turn your computer upside down: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/S ... tm#1135100

That way, the power supply is on the bottom, resulting in the pareto-optimal airflow. Overheated inductors are no joke, since the cheap insulation they use will often fail at high temperatures and cause the coils to bridge.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]