n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 My computer is fucked? 
[n00b] Member

Post My computer is fucked?
So, it started with my computer having issues with lag and such in firefox, it would stop responding every once in a while randomly for about 10 seconds, then work again, so I assumed it was addon lag, and just ignored it. Then my Windows live messenger stopped opening, whenever I'd try to turn it on it would give me the "WLM has stopped working." popup thing, and wouldn't open at all. So I tried a system restore (after virus scans, defrags, ccleaner) and it worked fine, so then I ran a windows update, and it started giving me that message again. So being a computer newb, I did another system restore, and then it wouldn't open Windows (explorer.exe can not open, push "ok" basically) and my screen was just black, so I did a startup repair, fixed that. So now I'm stuck with laggy internet browsers, and my WLM won't open. (edit) And I am worried that explorer.exe error may start again...

Anyone have a solution? Or is it a virus? Or what?

Thanks!!

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:42 pm
Game Server Admin

Post Re: My computer is fucked?
It's your power suppy

"I am the robber of my cradle. Candy is my body and teddy-bears are my blood. I have snached over a thousand little girls. Unknown to police. Nor known to Chris Henson. Have withstood time to stalk many children. Yet those kids will never be enough. So as I pray--"

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:48 pm
[n00b] Member

winitnow wrote:
It's your power suppy

Really? Is that a serious guess or a "lets F*CK with the guy who doesn't know computers"?

Thanks if you were serious, I'm going to check it either way if I can.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:55 pm
Game Server Admin

lmao birdy no I figured I'd say it before someone else did cause you know someone is gonna say it....but all honesty check ur HDD make sure it's not gotten losse or ur mobo is messn up...black screen of death was my mobo dying do a system dianogistcs (hit F11 F5 F10) one of those 3 (depends on manifacture) will do a system dia. For you to see if it's ur mobo or HDD memory or optical drives.

"I am the robber of my cradle. Candy is my body and teddy-bears are my blood. I have snached over a thousand little girls. Unknown to police. Nor known to Chris Henson. Have withstood time to stalk many children. Yet those kids will never be enough. So as I pray--"

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:59 pm
[n00b] Member

Sweet, thanks. So I hit one of those F keys during the startup?

It's an HP laptop. Also, what's a mobo? Haha.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Game Server Admin

yah it'll prob be F11 then and it's motherboard (mobo) but when you restart ur comp first screen you see should be HP screen then on bottom of that should give you a list of commands to hit if you choose to hit the corasponding Fkey and it'll take you to a new window you usually only have 15 Seconds to hit the key before it goes to next window so might take you 2-3 restarts to get where you wanna go oh and spam that key to until it changes screens

Last edited by winitnow on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:06 pm
[n00b] Member

Alright, thank you very much!
I will definitely give that a try before i give in and bring it to a shop and pay them their god damn $80.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:07 pm
fomenta's bitch

baby come back

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:47 pm
Game Server Admin

several things can be causing the problem

1st: scan for viruses(this is obvious)

2nd: make sure your PSU is ok(get a psu tester from a pc shop)
3rd: check the other hardware (if its a mobo problem be prepared to fork over alot of money in time and labor costs. laptop mobos are at least 2-3x more expensive than desktop laptop mobos are sometimes more expensive than a whole new laptop)

4th: make sure your hard drive is ok (failing harddrives often make loud clicking sounds or screeching sounds You can test by using several free programs or by using a drive test utility on bootup

5th: if the drive is ok backup all of your important files and reformat using an os you want. Modern computers often allow reformatation by hiting a key on boot in the bios (if not check to see if the pc came with backup disks for this situation or obtain the os from other means HINT HINT)

6th: Reformat or if this fails buy a new machine

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:49 pm
Game Server Admin

I still thinks it's the power supply!

cptreynolds@n00bfest.com

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Game Server Admin

CPTReynolds wrote:

lmao this is why I posted it first :)

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:07 pm
[n00b] Member

winitnow wrote:
CPTReynolds wrote:

lmao this is why I posted it first :)

F*CK u guys damnit... haha

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:11 pm
[n00b] Member

lostraider4820 wrote:
several things can be causing the problem

1st: scan for viruses(this is obvious)

2nd: make sure your PSU is ok(get a psu tester from a pc shop)
3rd: check the other hardware (if its a mobo problem be prepared to fork over alot of money in time and labor costs. laptop mobos are at least 2-3x more expensive than desktop laptop mobos are sometimes more expensive than a whole new laptop)

4th: make sure your hard drive is ok (failing harddrives often make loud clicking sounds or screeching sounds You can test by using several free programs or by using a drive test utility on bootup

5th: if the drive is ok backup all of your important files and reformat using an os you want. Modern computers often allow reformatation by hiting a key on boot in the bios (if not check to see if the pc came with backup disks for this situation or obtain the os from other means HINT HINT)

6th: Reformat or if this fails buy a new machine

Thank you very much! I will try this stuff! I might not get back on here for a bit, I'm between living spaces, and my new place wont have internet for a little while, and I still have some stuff to move and such.

Thanks again!

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:12 pm
[n00b] Member

But he's talking about a laptop guys............how can there be psu problems on a laptop? havent heard of it before.........

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:14 pm
Game Server Admin

HDD is not going to cause those issues....

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:29 pm
[n00b] Member

Dont feel alone. I recently had to unhinge my side panel and put a huge ass window fan on it to keep the thing from freezing in the middle of scrims.

I'm sorry to everyone who's had to have my leave. I think I've finally fixed the problem with this fan until a new one arises. But no worries. 9k is helping me pick out the pieces to a brand new computer :)

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:47 pm
Game Server Admin

The other day my computer was really laggy. Firefox would freeze up, i was gettin 9 FPS in game and my comp was overall just slow. Well i open task manager and this program called Windows Media Player Network Sharing "something" was takin up 1,000,000+ of my memory. I ran a virus scan and malwares and it still didnt fix the problem. So i ended up having to disable Windows Media player for the time being. I didnt have all the symptoms you're having up if might help a little.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:55 pm
[n00b] Member

Thanks everyone. I'm still playing around, haven't got through all of that yet, mostly because I'm being lazy about it and using my internet for school while I have it tonight. I will hopefully get the problem fixed with this info though.

Thanks again!

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:15 pm
Game Server Admin

Went ahead and moved this down to Tech Support.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]