n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:50 am

Forum rules

This is where you tell your tales. This isn't a forum for links or boobs. This is just like you're in the pub, you tell stories.

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Kicked out of college 
[n00b] Member

Post Kicked out of college
Some of you might know ( doesn't really matter if you do or not but whatever) that I'm in college trying to get my Bachelor in Fine Arts through the Art Institute Of Washington.
It's a pretty well known, at least I think, "college" and it's in several states throughout the U.S.
I needed a CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) of, at least, 1.5 for 5 semesters ( 1 year and 1 semester hurr durr) and I end up with a 1.4.
With that being said I got a letter saying that I was Academic Dismissed and that I could appeal the decision if I so desired and I did.
First time they said no but whoever talked to me on the phone said something about bringing "official papers" to back up my appeal letter and that's exactly what I did.
Now I'm waiting on an answer from this school to know whether or not I will continue there or if I will need to find another one.
I know I should of tried harder in school and all that bullshit. I've already heard enough from my parents, thank you very much.
If I can't go back to school my options are either joining the military (navy or air force) or go find another college that will take me.
I'm also with a Stafford loan of about 35-40k.

Funny thing that I found out though and that probably has nothing to do with this is the fact that the Art Institute is also being sued for $11 billion. LOL
http://www.petapixel.com/2011/09/02/us-gov-sues-the-art-institutes-for-11-billion-fraud/
AND
http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/news/The-Art-Institutes--3531.shtml

TL;DR
Getting kicked out of school
School is getting sued for $11 billion

Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:15 am
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

Post Re: Kicked out of college
If you think you can handle it, military would be an excellent option. How old are you?

Go do your 3+ years (I'd probably say Air Force unless you're okay with the possibility of getting stuck on a nuclear sub for 6 months), come back, and find another school to go to. I'm not sure of the payout of the GI bill in your state but it's usually anywhere between $50-100k for school.

No offense though, but Fine Arts? What would have done with that...

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:54 am
[n00b] Member

Must have been practicing drawing the unit models in LoL :3

No but in all seriousness, a portfolio is more important than school for fine arts isn't it? I dunno how that stuff works but you'll be alright. Go military, figure your Shit out and let them foot the bill.

Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:27 am
Forum Newbie

I got suspended from school several years ago. I was a stupid 19 year old kid majoring in beer drinking and chasing tail. Got back in school and I'm about to finish in the spring. College has been a real struggle for me. 25 years old and just now getting my bachelors degree. Just don't make a hasty decision. Think hard about what you want to do and then decide for yourself. Joining the military isn't the only option. I'm not saying it's a bad option; it's just not the only option.

That semester I was suspended was a shitty four months. Wish I had worked harder to better myself instead of just working and spending money. So...my point is...think for yourself. If your only reason for joining the military is the money, then that's a bad reason. If you want to join the military do it because you want to perform a service, or you want to learn some things you can use in a career.

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:47 am
[n00b] Member

This is why I kinda stay away from anything that is with those private schools like Devry or Arts Institute.

To tell you the truth, if you can find yourself happy with a career in the military...I think that is a fine choice.

Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:24 pm
Game Server Admin

I think you are destined to suck dick for money....dumb ass. Now get your gay metro sexual ass to work and finish school. You need a back up plan...to your dick sucking job.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:09 am
[n00b] Member

dirtbag wrote:
I think you are destined to suck dick for money....dumb ass. Now get your gay metro sexual ass to work and finish school. You need a back up plan...to your dick sucking job.

Back up plans are important

If my computer education didn't pan out I had a few back up plans.

A: Go into a 4 year institution and do Poli Sci.

B: if that didn't work out get my CDL and go up to the north west of the state and join in on the oil boom here.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:52 pm
Raging Knight

Tazzaler wrote:
dirtbag wrote:

Back up plans are important

If my computer education didn't pan out I had a few back up plans.

A: Go into a 4 year institution and do Poli Sci.

B: if that didn't work out get my CDL and go up to the north west of the state and join in on the oil boom here.

Getting my Poli Sci. degree in about 2 semesters. It was my backup plan as well. My plan A was to get a degree in computer information systems but I hated it and couldn't stomach the math. I am much much happier in political science.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Newbie

my degree is in CIS. I didn't have to do any hard math. Only required me to go through algebra. The thing that I hate is databases.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:31 pm
One-Eyed Elder, Senior Admin

A 1.5? Out of what? If it's a normal scale, that's like a D, yeah? How the F*CK can you not make a D?

Anywho, those schools are for profit schools and generally not accredited. (Even if they say they are) So, even if you do get a diploma from them, it's not worth the paper it's written on.

Main reason I know this is because I have an Electronics Engineering degree (circuit boards and shit) that I got when I was 19 and it's not worth shit...School wasn't accredited.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:17 pm
Profile YIM
[HNIC] Stзamroller ω

Omega wrote:
Getting my Poli Sci. degree in about 2 semesters. It was my backup plan as well. My plan A was to get a degree in computer information systems but I hated it and couldn't stomach the math. I am much much happier in political science.

What are you going to do with that degree? Not dogging on you at all -- just curious.

[CK] GhosT wrote:
my degree is in CIS. I didn't have to do any hard math. Only required me to go through algebra. The thing that I hate is databases.

Databases are fun; I work with MySQL on a daily basis, and I work with Oracle at least a few times a week. Fomenta teaches an introduction to databases and spreadsheets course at Penn State.

Coach wrote:
A 1.5? Out of what? If it's a normal scale, that's like a D, yeah? How the F*CK can you not make a D?

Anywho, those schools are for profit schools and generally not accredited. (Even if they say they are) So, even if you do get a diploma from them, it's not worth the paper it's written on.

Main reason I know this is because I have an Electronics Engineering degree (circuit boards and shit) that I got when I was 19 and it's not worth shit...School wasn't accredited.

Even if it were accredited, what are you going to do with a degree in art? Is it worth going into debt for?

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
-- Hunter S Thompson

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

Gman wrote:
Omega wrote:

What are you going to do with that degree? Not dogging on you at all -- just curious.

I had/have the same question, but didn't want to be a negative nancy. I know quite a few people with polisci degrees who graduated and are like...now what? But if it's part of your specific plan, then I'm all for it.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:12 pm
[n00b] Member

airman wrote:
No offense though, but Fine Arts? What would have done with that...

Game Art and Design was the name of the course I was taking. My entire family from my father's side can draw and apparently so can I and not to be C*CK I KNOW I can draw better than 85% of the people on my classes. Besides, even it sounds as gay as it does, I like to draw and wanted to be a Concept Designer and move up from there.

Gman wrote:
Even if it were accredited, what are you going to do with a degree in art? Is it worth going into debt for?

Have you seen the drawing inside games like grand theft auto 4 and shit like that? Actually I think blizzard would be a better example since they keep releasing art work every now and then about their game. I want to be a Concept Artist/Lead Artist which inst a bad job and can still go into a Senior "insert role" Artist. I can make 3D models on Maya and 3DS max no problem so 3D is an easy field too.

Coach wrote:

AIW doesn't have D's. It's C- up and it's Cumulative GPA for 5 semesters. I already said I heard enough from my parents, Coach..

dirtbag wrote:

This.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

Gman wrote:
[CK] GhosT wrote:

Databases are fun; I work with MySQL on a daily basis, and I work with Oracle at least a few times a week. Fomenta teaches an introduction to databases and spreadsheets course at Penn State.

Quite right. I work with SQL Server & PostgreSQL. However, one thing that I have observed so far is that I have yet to find a place where people actually do any kind of normalization. It's still fun. Nothing that I learned from my database classes (grad & undergrad) is being used at work :/

As for you Eggwhites, heed my word.

Even if you are sick of hearing your parents tell you to finish school & study well, that is exactly what you should do. Times have changed, and a decent education will significantly improve the odds of you not having to drown in debt for the rest of your life.

Use the time you have now wisely, and you will only gain from it.

Unless you know for sure that you are talented enough to be noticed by your artwork/portfolio alone, don't slack off when it comes to school.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:28 pm
[n00b] Member

First mistake was accumulating $35-40K in student loan debt. Second was choosing a hobby as a career path. Third was not even bothering to put in the minimal effort required to bearely pass while acquiring massive debt attempting to get a degree you probably would not even need if your skills were good enough.

Sorry man, no empathy. You fucked yourself in the ass. My advice is go get a job, pay off your debt as fast as possible, and focus on building a real career. Military is not a bad option, but choose an MOS that is not going to get you killed or maimed and make sure it is something that will give you skills you can build on when you get out.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:19 am
[n00b] Member

Shredder wrote:
First mistake was accumulating $35-40K in student loan debt. Second was choosing a hobby as a career path. Third was not even bothering to put in the minimal effort required to bearely pass while acquiring massive debt attempting to get a degree you probably would not even need if your skills were good enough.

Sorry man, no empathy. You fucked yourself in the ass. My advice is go get a job, pay off your debt as fast as possible, and focus on building a real career. Military is not a bad option, but choose an MOS that is not going to get you killed or maimed and make sure it is something that will give you skills you can build on when you get out.

Maybe the military will let you draw recruitment cartoons for them, or work on America's Army.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:18 pm
[n00b] Member

Kwang! wrote:
Shredder wrote:

Maybe the military will let you draw recruitment cartoons for them, or work on America's Army.

Eggwhite's next stop!

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:26 pm
[n00b] Member

Fortune City?

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:59 pm
Forum Newbie

Reborn wrote:
Gman wrote:
[CK] GhosT wrote:

Quite right. I work with SQL Server & PostgreSQL. However, one thing that I have observed so far is that I have yet to find a place where people actually do any kind of normalization. It's still fun. Nothing that I learned from my database classes (grad & undergrad) is being used at work :/

Well, I can work with databases just fine, but I don't enjoy it. Same for Java. I can do it well, but I don't like it. Just not my thing. I am a networks guy. I've been doing IT support for about two and a half years. When I finish my degree in the spring I would like to go to work for BNSF or Texas Health Resources. Also thinking about going to the game warden academy. State jobs = good benefits + good retirement. I would also like to work in the networking department for the PGA Tour. You should see the mobile crew they take to every tournament. It's like half a Walmart parking lot full of trailers all networked together. It's incredible.

Sad about normalization. We have to spend all this F*CKIN time learning it and no one does it? Ugh...
But I think in the next few years people with lots of database skill will make lots of money. A great skill to have.

Shredder wrote:

Harsh, but good advice.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:32 am
Forum Newbie

college is a sick joke.

"It's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve, it's what you take."

Start a ponzi scheme!

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next