n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Secondary Server 
[n00b] Member

Post Re: Secondary Server
sweet!!! n00bfest is infectious!!!

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:53 pm
Game Server Admin

A good move but I wonder if it'll need something a bit extra to attract people so that regulars play in it even when the main isn't full...

Maybe no FF?

Maybe a shorter rotation with more mainstream maps for the people that quit on maps like sykys?

Or maybe... no weapon restrictions? :D

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:50 pm
[HNIC] Stзamroller ω

unstawpable wrote:
A good move but I wonder if it'll need something a bit extra to attract people so that regulars play in it even when the main isn't full...

Maybe no FF?

Maybe a shorter rotation with more mainstream maps for the people that quit on maps like sykys?

I've put up many, many, MANY secondary servers and have had trouble getting people into them. Gimmicky shit generally doesn't work.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
-- Hunter S Thompson

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:08 am
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

Gman wrote:
unstawpable wrote:

Maybe no FF?

I've put up many, many, MANY secondary servers and have had trouble getting people into them. Gimmicky shit generally doesn't work.

I fail to see how any of his suggestions are 'gimmicky'. Except I'd not support turning ff off.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:37 pm
[HNIC] Stзamroller ω

Kwang! wrote:
Gman wrote:
unstawpable wrote:

Maybe no FF?

I fail to see how any of his suggestions are 'gimmicky'. Except I'd not support turning ff off.

They're gimmicky because they're a deviation from the main and they don't work.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
-- Hunter S Thompson

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Game Server Admin

Kwang! wrote:
Gman wrote:
unstawpable wrote:

Maybe no FF?

Yeah I don't see how that's gimmicky either. Not like I'm saying it should be gungame or deathmatch or something. Just an honest opinion that making it different from the main server will probably attract more people there. Personally, I'd be inclined to try and fill it up if there were no gun restrictions and people could buy AWPs, and I'm sure there are other people that would enjoy playing with awps every now and then, even n00b members. But it doesn't just end there. Some people leave the server because we have maps like aztec and chateauin the rotation. The majority may want to play those maps but there will always be some people that leave because those maps show up. And after playing in the secondary server the past few days I have noticed it filling up on maps like cbble and d2, but when it switches to something like chateau it clears out.

I just think that with all the people that play on n00bfest we have the opportunity to make this second server more than just a waiting room to get into the main. I personally believe it needs to be more than a carbon copy to achieve that.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:44 pm
[HNIC] Stзamroller ω

unstawpable wrote:
I just think that with all the people that play on n00bfest we have the opportunity to make this second server more than just a waiting room to get into the main. I personally believe it needs to be more than a carbon copy to achieve that.

Run that by some of the folks who have been around a bit longer than you. They'll tell you about the Elite server (league maps, no weapon restrictions), the shottyfest server(s), the scoutzknivez server, the various other funmaps servers, the deathmatch server, and the gungame servers we've had.

-- Hunter S Thompson

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Game Server Admin

Gman wrote:
unstawpable wrote:

Run that by some of the folks who have been around a bit longer than you. They'll tell you about the Elite server (league maps, no weapon restrictions), the shottyfest server(s), the scoutzknivez server, the various other funmaps servers, the deathmatch server, and the gungame servers we've had.

I'm pretty sure I remember an Elite server. But I could be mistaken. If i'm correct, it wasn't around for very long.

Anyways, to be honest. I don't see much of a point in having a secondary server. Other than just as an overflow server. I appreciate having another server to run to when I need my quick fix, lol. But I think it's going to go down the same road as any other server. It's always going to be secondary. There will always be the people that would rather wait to get into the jam packed main, than into a quarter full second, and unfortunately at one point it just ends. Not to sound skeptical. But I think it would take something..uniquely attractive to draw people in. You can't please everyone, but find something that pleases the highest amount of people(if that's even possible.)

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:20 pm
Game Server Admin

I'm not saying it has to be an elite server, or play only league maps, or that it needs to have no restricted weapons, etc. But I am playing in it right now, finally got 5 people onto d2. As soon as the map ends someone hits nextmap, it shows its syksy, and everybody leaves. I can't say for sure anything else wouldve kept them from leaving, maybe they just wanted to play d2, but maybe if the server is limited to more mainstream maps some of the non-n00b community members will stick around.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:23 pm
Spammer Hopeful

Should make one server custom maps only and the other league maps only, that way people would feel the need to move around if needed. If both servers have custom maps or even the same rotation then people won't see a need to move around. The second server is a great idea but I'm with everyone else in it needs something to get people to go in it.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
n00bfest Asshole

Pitch some F*CKING money in then. Make your own server. All I see is "suggestions" from you. If you want a server set up the way you want it, go make your own. Holy F*CKING shit.

The secondary server is here because people are tired of sitting around for 15-20 minutes trying to get into the main server.

I hope Tom Brady gets anally raped in Hell.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:16 pm
Game Server Admin

Just giving suggestions to improve people's enjoyment of the game.

The point is: why go wait in an empty server when you can pass the time playing with actual people?

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:52 pm
Spammer Hopeful

JoeMamma wrote:
Pitch some F*CKING money in then. Make your own server. All I see is "suggestions" from you. If you want a server set up the way you want it, go make your own. Holy F*CKING shit.

The secondary server is here because people are tired of sitting around for 15-20 minutes trying to get into the main server.

Have you played in it yet? Because I have and you'll rarely see more then 10 people in there at a time, if any at all (and the people that are in there are usually n00bs or regulars that want to help populate the second server, but playing with so few people makes everyone leave). I'm giving a suggestion on how to actually get it populated without having to worry about the other server getting full. Making the main server standard de_ maps only and the secondary custom maps + cs_ maps would make people think about going to the other server because they would want a different change in pace.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:08 am
Profile WWW
n00bfest Council

I have played on the second server a few times this week, while it many not have gotten full, it was nice to have so we don't have to go play somewhere else...the few nights i've played on it, we had a blast!

Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:36 am
[n00b] Member

Pretty much an overflow server is what's intended. I would love to remove weapon restrictions and have a limited map rotation, keeping the 'special' and 'league' maps in the rtv but it is what it is. On that note, I have been browsing to find a working re-direct script. So far, Beetlesmod and Sourcemod seem to win out on this because Mani apparently disabled that function, which looked something like this:

Code:
Chinikaylo @ Gamebanana

// Module : Reserve Slot //
// Desc : The Reserve slot module configuration cvars // *****************************************************************************
// Turn on off reserve slots manireserveslots 1

// Number of reserve slots you have manireserveslotsnumberof_slots 1

// User defined message shown in players console when kicked manireserveslotskickmessage "Slot reserved..."

// User defined message for redirection of players to another server manireserveslotsredirectmessage "Server full, redirecting..."

// The IP address of the server you wish to redirect players to. Leave it blank // if you do not want redirection to be used manireserveslots_redirect "69.9.45.204:27015"

// This defines whether you want your reserve slots to fill with reserve players // or always be kept free (1 = allow slots to fill, 0 = always keeps slots free // and kick player instead) manireserveslotsallowslot_fill 1

// Type of method used to kick players, 0 = by highest ping (spectators first), // 1 = by connection time (spectators go first) manireserveslotskickmethod 1

// Include admins in the adminlist.txt file as players who have reserve slots // (1 = include admins) manireserveslotsincludeadmin 1

Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:05 am
Spammer Hopeful

Redirect would be awesome Kwang, that way people would try to join the first server and if it's full it would bring them to the secondary one. The problem is keeping them from leaving after they are redirected to an empty server. Maybe put a few bots in it that leave when people join.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:59 am
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

Dont ever put bots in this server you will ruin it for me.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Spammer Hopeful

yay wrote:
Dont ever put bots in this server you will ruin it for me.

You put bots that leave one by one whenever someone joins, that way people don't join an empty server. That's only if you can get the redirect to work.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Game Server Admin

No bots are gay. Feels like the biggest C*CK whenever I go into a server and F*CKING bots are in there. Now THAT's gimmicky.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:34 pm
Spammer Hopeful

unstawpable wrote:
No bots are gay. Feels like the biggest C*CK whenever I go into a server and F*CKING bots are in there. Now THAT's gimmicky.

How would you feel if you thought you were joining the main server to just be redirected to the secondary server and it being completely empty?

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next