n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Changes coming 
n00bfest Elder, Senior Admin

Post Re: Changes coming
Once we have all of the individual "council's" up and running, we could just get a list of all the recruits that have become n00bs by the end of the month and make one giant post. That way we can recognize everyone from each game in one post.

Example:
New n00bs in the following games:

Counter Strike:
Blabbitybla
african americans
Sexbot

League of Legends:
Butts
Wenches

BF3:
Eatit
Sexbot

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:22 pm
[n00b] Member

dirkdeagler wrote:
ewwwwwwwww gross, bug coffee

does anyone have any suggestions as far as structure & process? (the what & how) for instance, think about how the counter-strike "branch" works. with admin promotion/demotion, council, recruits, applications, waiting periods, voting, etc. Does that all work how you'd like, or would you change something up?

the "who" is pretty much covered for now.

Sounds like someone should come up with an official n00bfest charter.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:23 pm
[n00b] Member

Also we could make participation in the "general" forums a condition of the participation requirement. Also we could police the game-specific areas to move general topics out to the general forum, which would help foster broader engagement, streamline process, and maximize profits. A turnkey solution that will leverage our precious resources while maximizing our investments.

Player [[n00b] Reborn''] [STEAM_0:1:456925]
Time 02/21/2010 @ 17:17:03

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:25 pm
[n00b] Member

dirkdeagler wrote:
Also we could make participation in the "general" forums a condition of the participation requirement.

I was actually thinking along the same lines as JFOB and you. I can see post change n00b's segregating themselves from the players of other games. This didn't really happen that much since I've been here since CSS was the biggest title everyone played. When we expand people that are strictly BF3 or SWTOR may never get to know other n00b members that play CSS or LoL for example. That may loosen the tight nit community feel we have at the moment. I'm not against the change but I think solutions like what Dirk said could help maintain the cohesiveness we have as n00bs.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:33 pm
[n00b] Member

Yeah I agree; we should find a balance between inclusiveness and cohesiveness. Not sure if there's really a way to accomplish that beyond that general forums requirement like you said, dirk.

I also think Sweet Pea has the right idea with the new membership structure. One thing that was probably implied in her post but might as well be...explied, is have potential [rct]s list out ALL the games that they possess and may play as a [n00b]. Just to avoid someone who signs up for BF3 and happens to jump in the CSS(GO?) server later from being harassed any more than usual.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:22 pm

We've already included that in the general application process. I made those changes a couple days ago.
http://n00bfest.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17117

Edit: However if there's anything on there that you think we need to add or change, by all means please let me know.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:26 pm
[n00b] Member

Yeah, I was just going off the example you listed earlier in this thread. My only point was, and I'm sure you agree, Sexbot should be listed in both CSS and BF3 categories of the "welcome new members" post if he (...she??) plans on playing both, even if he's (...SHE'S????) signing up because of BF3.

Edit: perfect, you are the best.

Last edited by Judicator on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:30 pm

Fixed.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:38 pm
Game Server Admin

This is amazing and really hope it takes off with us having our own BF3 sever be just like CSS and with new and more n00bs and everyone getting to know one another even better the n00bfest meetings at Gmans might have to go bigger and better than just at his place doubt he could fit 50+ppl in his place or would want to fit that many lol. Also having other games to play with fellow n00bs is fun and your able to rage and they just laugh along with you, makes games fun.

"I am the robber of my cradle. Candy is my body and teddy-bears are my blood. I have snached over a thousand little girls. Unknown to police. Nor known to Chris Henson. Have withstood time to stalk many children. Yet those kids will never be enough. So as I pray--"

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:18 pm
Game Server Admin

Great idea! I will volenteer for any group I play in if needed.

cptreynolds@n00bfest.com

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

Judicator wrote:
Yeah I agree; we should find a balance between inclusiveness and cohesiveness. Not sure if there's really a way to accomplish that beyond that general forums requirement like you said, dirk.

I'm not really sure how everything is structured now because I have been gone for so long but I think that as we spread out its important that participation in the community (things like posting the forum) be a significant part of becoming a member. A suggestion would be that someone(s) (obviously not Falcon because hes a moron) should take the role or be assigned the role of general forum "council" member(s) and should have a vote on each of the individual game's councils. My point is that I don't think that anyone should be able to become a member of any "branch" if someone who is extremely active on the forums (the type of people that would make the forum "council") wouldn't be able to remember at least that they have made posts outside of their membership request. I don't think that a post requirement would be a good solution to this because it would simply pollute our extremely mature (lol) forums with posts that have no meaning and are made just to get X posts. Some sort of qualitative measurement of how active a member is in the overall community and not that would go a long way in making sure that n00bfest doesnt turn into a bunch of small communities where only the people that have been a round a long time know each other and the newer members from various games have no sense of belonging to the overall community.

Just my $0.02.

nubs 4 breakfast

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:36 pm
[HNIC] Stзamroller ω

When I said membership criteria would be enforced like it is with CSS, that's what I meant. In order to become a n00b now, one has to be active on the forum (period). The same will be enforced throughout all branches.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
-- Hunter S Thompson

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

Gman wrote:
When I said membership criteria would be enforced like it is with CSS, that's what I meant. In order to become a n00b now, one has to be active on the forum (period). The same will be enforced throughout all branches.

Sorry, my post turned into a rant and I didn't mean it to be. The short version of what I meant is that I think the forum aspect should be possibly more important than in the past if we want to maintain the atmosphere of a single community playing multiple games rather than a bunch of smaller communities that happen to be named the same thing.

nubs 4 breakfast

Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:02 pm
[n00b] Member

As a council member I can verify that we are in fact taking forum participation very, very seriously.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:10 pm
[n00b] Member

I really think this is a move in the right direction as far as n00bfest expansion. What do you guys think about having a slightly different tag for each subdivision of n00bs? Something like [n00b.CS], [n00b.LoL] etc. that way if people from, say, League of Legends decide to play CS we actually know where the hell they are coming from. It's just an idea, but on the other hand I can see how this could perhaps worsen the segregation issue among members. What do you all think?

Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:20 pm
[HNIC] Stзamroller ω

Montreal wrote:
I really think this is a move in the right direction as far as n00bfest expansion. What do you guys think about having a slightly different tag for each subdivision of n00bs? Something like [n00b.CS], [n00b.LoL] etc. that way if people from, say, League of Legends decide to play CS we actually know where the hell they are coming from. It's just an idea, but on the other hand I can see how this could perhaps worsen the segregation issue among members. What do you all think?

That kind of segregation is exactly the opposite of what one would expect to find in a "community" atmosphere.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
-- Hunter S Thompson

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

Montreal wrote:

I feel like not having any identifying tags would be worse than having ones that slightly separate people, since people might just see someone they don't know with a [n00b] tag and just flame them for being a fake. That's just my viewpoint anyway.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:20 pm
[n00b] Member

this is pretty sweet. although its silly but a sc2 n00bfest would b awesome :P i could really work on that.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:22 pm
[HNIC] Stзamroller ω

«Deputy¦Dan» wrote:
Montreal wrote:

I feel like not having any identifying tags would be worse than having ones that slightly separate people, since people might just see someone they don't know with a [n00b] tag and just flame them for being a fake. That's just my viewpoint anyway.

This is wordy as shit and I apologize in advance:

The idea is that there won't be anyone that you don't know. If you're an active member, you will have seen their forum posts before they get in. If you flame someone for not being a n00b without first doing your homework, you're the retard. I'll go as far to say that if you don't check the forum and stay involved with the community enough to know that someone has made it into n00b, then you don't deserve to flame anyone. If they're new here then they would have had to be active on the forum, ergo they're likely more active than you (the ignorant person flaming them based on your lack of information/upkeep).

-- Hunter S Thompson

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

No need to have a subdivision name for n00b because at the end, we're all one giant F*CKING family with some fucked up people. ♥

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next