n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A Letter To My Homies 
Community Owner

Post A Letter To My Homies
In keeping with this week's obvious theme of "OMG I CAN POST A MILLION WORDZ", it's my turn.

First of all, I have GOT to say - Gman has done a fantastic job of keeping n00bfest grounded to its roots as I originally created and intended. He has continued and created a legacy here that should be considered nothing short of an internet legend in the CS gaming genre. He has been with me since the beginning, and has been a valuable counselor over the years. There have been times I've ignored his advice and regretted it later.

It's really hard to provide excellent gaming experiences to people, make it fully self sustaining without having to resort to making it into some gay, pop-up laden commercial venture.

n00bfest is now a viable entity, surviving completely on it's own. It's been about 2 years since I've had to interfere with my personal finances to pay ANYTHING for n00bfest. Why? Because of YOU, the n00bfest community. The donations you provide on a monthly basis keep this place alive. On behalf of everyone who has invested in this place through the years (way too many to list) I want to offer my thanks and my amazement. Donations come in every month, many from people I've never heard of before. I see admins and members that have joined and been promoted in rank and I have no clue who they are. Old members caught hacking have been banned.

It's truly stunning. For those that haven't read-up on their history:
Inspired by a server some of the old timers around here used to frequent, this place began as an AMD K6/2-450 machine with a 7 player maximum, in my home, playing 24/7 Iceworld sometime around the turn of the century. Yes, around TEN F*CKING YEARS AGO. Pre-steam, pre-"WON AUTH", and all that shit. How many Counter-Strike "Clans" could claim a decade of not just survival, but growth into a self-sustaining community?

This place has hundreds of members, thousands of visitors, and over the years it's seen tens of thousands of victims. Sadly, it has even outlived some of it's members. We've been around long enough to see tragedy take some of our members from us. Someday the place my even outlive me, hopefully from old age!

Gman is correct that we haven't yet finished our discussion on donation transparency, and that's 100% my fault. I've been busy since we had our initial discussion, but will get things changed very soon. I know people want to be able to see the money they donate get used for the things that they like around here (with a smaller portion of the proceeds going to hookers and blow, of course).

In the meantime, just so you know, the intent is to establish two accounts. One for n00bfest "overhead" and one of n00bfest "overflow". The overhead goes to me to cover operating expenses, and the overflow will be used for tourneys and 1-off items.

Now, let's talk "overhead" for a minute. I know people have their opinions on this, so I need to say a few things to clear the air and start the "TRANSPARENCY". I know the cynics will probably make a statement like "Corpse is skimming off the top and using our money for non-n00bfest stuff". Well, that's actually two statements, and they're both a little bit true.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone here. Along with n00bfest.com, I own a total of 34 domain names. The MAJORITY of those domains are investments in the future of n00bfest. Several different .com and .net versions of newbfest, n00bmart, n00bcafe, FirstPersonServers, 1337fest, and so on. I snatched a lot of those up years ago to ensure we would have them if ever we get to different points like:
n00bfest LAN facilities or franchises (still something I like for a small business venture)
n00bfest store (other than the existing n00bmart.com stuff)
full service server provider company

There are some other non-n00b-related domain expenses and since the place has become self-sustaining I've used these funds to pay those expenses. Actually, it's not even that clean, really. Many of the domain expenses are still auto-paid from my personal bank account so I let those charges go through and pull n00bfest funds for personal use sometimes. It's all a big sloppy mess really, because it's not a "business" with separate accounting.

The plan is to clean up that mess and give n00bs the ability to see how much cash they're generating while still providing enough funding maintain the community and give me a little bit of a return. To keep the place alive and growing, you have to keep the masses happy. Have I used n00bfest money for personal expenses before? Hell yes I have! You guys don't know what I went through to maintain this place over the years. There have been MANY times over the years when I paid n00bfest bills before I paid my house bills and had massive fights at home. My wife wanted this place shut down so bad she couldn't stand it, because I was totally obsessed and had my priorities all fucked up (her words, not mine). Raising 2 kids and barely making ends meet sometimes, it didn't seem to smart. But I knew this place was worth the investment. The people, the atmosphere, and the "family" of it all. None of you have ever had your electricity shut off to your home because you paid the expenses for n00bfest - I have... more than once. Know what's worse? I don't regret it one bit! LOL (although it did suck to pay the bill and not be able to play)

Players will abandon a place so quickly, though. We couldn't afford to be down for any amount of time or we would lose traction, players, and recognition.

Some day I still think this place will become even more evolved than a gaming community. That can only happen if the n00bs stay happy!

Whatever the financial targets are set at, know this - (again) I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone here. I'm just trying to stay "whole" and eventually get back some of what I've put into the place. I want to make sure you guys stay happy, keep pwning each other, and make the place last for many more years to come.

G - we'll wrap up our planning discussion soon, bro.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:12 am
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

Post Re: A Letter To My Homies
Well said honey. I've missed you so, maybe we could share one of those hookers one day

"Cursed is the ground for your sake. In toil you will eat of it all the days of your life. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you and you shall eat the herb of the field. In the sweat of your brow you shall eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For, dust you are and to dust you shall return."

“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life"

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:47 am
Profile YIM
Game Server Admin

Well put

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:00 am
[n00b] Member

I heard you wanted to spend some money on me.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:53 am
[n00b] Member

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:39 pm
[n00b] Member

Bleep wrote:

HAIL!!!!

Always the business champ there Corpse.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:52 pm
Not Worthy of [n00b]

So did your wife n kids leave you? I must hear more of the corpshumper saga.....did you actually hump a dead person? do you like jason voorhees? how much blow n hookers did u do last year? whats your fav CS weapon? whats your fighting power (in dbz numbers)? these are the things we need to be asking here people

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm
[n00b] Member

All in good time badguy

acid_rain wrote:
I am not going to explain my reasoning for anything, because I simply don't have to.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:08 pm
Profile YIM
[n00b] Member

Transparency: Write the words "n00bfest Transparency" in fat black sharpie on the side of the candy van, and the put the van up to a window.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 pm
Game Server Admin

Never doubted you! The jury is still out on Spidey though..........

cptreynolds@n00bfest.com

Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Game Server Admin

If it weren't for you and a lot of the people now running n00bfest this would probably never have survived and i wouldn't have my home away from home here.. I bet there's a lot more like me here, people who have joined the last years not being aware of everything that concern n00bfest history and such, but still from the bottom of my heart i want to thank you guys for your sacrifices it brought me a second home along with a lot more :D

n00bfest ♥ to you all

I advise you all do the same.

Turkey_Testicles wrote:
i love you loke...may your hamwallet forever embrace my dude-piston

Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:31 pm
[n00b] Member

n00bfest transparency is just another word for indecent exposure. You gotta be careful who you show or else Spidey will have to go back to jail Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_02

Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:30 pm
Raging Knight

Yep, theres no place like home... and that home is n00bfest. ♥

I have trust that my donations are making this place better. No worries here.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

LOL bro, the fact that you lost electricity because you paid n00bfest bills, is AWESOME.

Also, buttsecks now?

Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:35 pm
[n00b] Member

dabadguy wrote:
So did your wife n kids leave you? I must hear more of the corpshumper saga.....did you actually hump a dead person? do you like jason voorhees? how much blow n hookers did u do last year? whats your fav CS weapon? whats your fighting power (in dbz numbers)? these are the things we need to be asking here people

^^

Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:37 pm
[n00b] Member

I AM A HOMOSEXUAL

Player [[n00b] Reborn''] [STEAM_0:1:456925]
Time 02/21/2010 @ 17:17:03

Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:13 pm
[n00b] Member

I feel the donations I've put in have been well worth it. With all that goes on in my life, it's nice to have a place to come to and just forget it for a little while, and have some fun with you crazy ass people. I'm sure the majority of us feel the same.

Hearts and junk.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:37 pm
[n00b] Member

Loke wrote:
If it weren't for you and a lot of the people now running n00bfest this would probably never have survived and i wouldn't have my home away from home here.. I bet there's a lot more like me here, people who have joined the last years not being aware of everything that concern n00bfest history and such, but still from the bottom of my heart i want to thank you guys for your sacrifices it brought me a second home along with a lot more :D

n00bfest ♥ to you all

^This and i'm glad to finally be able to have the extra money to donate to this place!

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:55 pm
[n00b] Member

♥ Corpse ♥ n00bfest ♥

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
n00bfest Elder, Senior Admin

Miss you love bug. Will make a trip down to florida to kick it old school. (I miss the misus. :( )

strangelegend@n00bfest.com

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next