n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 n00bfest Survey: 2011 - Results 
[HNIC] Stзamroller ω

Post n00bfest Survey: 2011 - Results
I realize that this is totally tldr, but it pertains to you. I've broken it up into logical paragraphs to make you less crazy. Please take the time to read it, as there is a lot of important community-related information here.

So there were a handful of things mentioned in the survey that we conducted, and I'm going to touch on a lot of them here. There will be a couple separate posts in the n00b Members Area and Server Admin forums within the next few days with specific information to those two sub-groups of individuals, but I do have a handful of things to share with everybody.

First off, for those of you who took time to give us feedback, myself and the senior leadership staff here at n00bfest would like to thank you for participating in the survey. Without further adeau, let me go down the list.

A big part about what people like here at n00bfest is our sense of camaraderie and brotherhood; freedom of speech is also dearly valued. Maintaining those two things have always been, and will continue to be, top priorities of n00bfest's staff, but there's certainly a limit. Some of the negative feedback we received was about members bickering and fighting in public. I'll go into more detail on this in private forums, but the bottom line is that if you have a personal problem with someone else, don't let it escalate. Bring it to an admin, council member, ancient, elder, or myself and we'll help mediate. There's no reason we all can't get along.

Regarding website changes, a few things were mentioned. We're going to look into getting a calendar set up so that we can hopefully use it to plan and organize community events (e.g. scrims, tournaments, specific game nights [like a PVK2 night, LoL night, TF2 night, etc], and other various things). We require a high level of integration, so a considerable amount of research and testing will be required before we'll be able to roll something like that out, but I can almost guarantee you that we'll have something like that in the coming months. There were some concerns about how our psychostats theme is ugly. I know. I hate it too -- it's really ugly, but before we spend the time and effort getting it 100% fixed, we're going to have to do some more research about what the psychostats impact will be with some plugin changes we plan on making soon. I'll go more into detail on that later, but it boils down to the fact that we have to figure out whether or not psychostats will be a feasible option for us going forward, or if we'll have to switch over to some other sort of web-based stat-logging system with better integration with some of the plugins we'll be changing on the gameserver side. A couple people mentioned opening up a chat system on the website. After a bit of discussion and debate, we decided that there are enough n00bfest-and-valve provided communication methods available (ventrilo, mumble [already installed, becoming publicly available soon!], forum, private messages, shoutbox, steam chat, gameserver) that we really don't want to dedicate time developing something that would likely go un--or under--utilized when those resources would be much better put to use on other projects. Oh, and Strange helped me update the admins.php page on the site. The ranks there are now 100% correct. They were pretty far off before (whoops!).

As far as the gameserver goes, I've updated the rotation by adding corruption and season. I know it's not much, but at least it's something. Because it's nearly impossible to make EVERYONE happy, I won't be removing any maps, including the most common ones people QQ about: aztec/prodigy/chateau/italy. Those will stay, but hopefully the added spice of a couple new maps to the rotation will help ease the monotony until we get RTV working again. That being said, we're looking at switching over our admin management system from manimod to sourcemod. We have a lot of things in place that would need to be updated to reflect these changes, so it's not going to be an easy migration. Once we get sourcemod installed and working properly, we'll have RTV again and will have even more awesome maps available to play -- even without admin intervention.

Let's talk about registry. There have been a lot of complaints about lag and registry, and if you've played in the PVK2 server or scrim servers lately, you're well aware that it isn't our hardware. It's the server itself. The orangebox engine just can't manage large servers as well as the source engine could. Oh, and a few people mentioned upgrading to 100tic. News flash: 100tic doesn't officially exist anymore. There are plugins for it, but even on the source engine, the performance of a 26+ slot 100tic server was WAY worse than that of a 66tic server. The engine simply can't handle it smoothly, regardless of the hardware platform. The only real way to increase reg and performance is to lower the slots on the server. Lowering from 32 man to 28 man when the orangebox update was released hurt enough; I don't want to lower it any further.

What I can do, though, is install extra (smaller) gameservers so the people who are concerned about reg and/or want to switch it up a bit can play there. We plan on opening up a 23/7 dust2/office server. By 23/7, I mean that admins will have the ability to switch to other maps (things like fire, mill, etc) if they so choose. We're also going to open up an iceworld/scoutzknivez server with other "funmap" style maps on it. I'm thinking of a rotation kinda like: iceworld/scoutzknivez/whatever1/iceworld/scoutzknivez/whatever2/etc -- play iceworld, then scoutzknivez, then some random "funmap" style map, then back to iceworld and scoutzknivez. Both of these servers will likely be 16-man, 66tic servers. I just updated some stuff on our dedicated server and am about to start the installations on them now, but don't suspect they'll be fully configured and up until Monday the 14th or so as I've got a busy weekend ahead of me.

The final major thing I'd like to touch on is donation transparency. CorpseHumper still handles all of n00bfest's finances, so after a (rather incomplete -- still haven't worked out all the details) meeting with him, we discussed having the "surplus" balance displayed on the website so that n00bs can see how far we are away from planning a tournament. Perhaps set a goal for tournament prizes and whenever we reach that goal in the surplus, BLAM! Tournament time! Transparency is important; I want you guys to know that we aren't spending all of the extra donation money on hookers and blow.

Yeah, it's been a while since we had a tournament, but we're people, damnit! Not machines! It's mainly my fault for not getting the ball rolling on it faster. I left pretty much all the work to acid_rain, and he has a wife, kids, and a full-time job; let's not even mention all of the responsibility he has here. Shit's most certainly not easy, and it's important that we show him how much he's appreciated. Thanks, acid. You're my bro.

On top of acid, I'd like to thank all of the n00bfest staff. From council, to admins, to ancients and elders. You guys are the gears under the hood and I couldn't do any of this without you. Thank you for all of your time and devoted effort.

I'd also like to thank a handful of "honorable mentions" in the survey results. Believe it or not, these douchebags actually got recognition: Bleep, DeadMan, Hooker, icemaN, Spyda, Sweet Pea, and Turkey. In all seriousness -- you guys rock. Thank for the hard work you put forth to make this place the best F*CKING gloryhole on the entire Internet.

So there, you have it. That's what's going on here. Oh, if we hit our donation goal before the tournament, that means we've got even more cash for prizes. Just sayin'.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
-- Hunter S Thompson

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Game Server Admin

Post Re: n00bfest Survey: 2011 - Results
♥ I AM A HOMOSEXUAL

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:38 pm
[HNIC] Stзamroller ω

CLOROX wrote:
♥ I AM A HOMOSEXUAL

I'd like to thank you and kwang for my new wordfilter.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
-- Hunter S Thompson

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
Game Server Admin

Gman wrote:
CLOROX wrote:
♥ I AM A HOMOSEXUAL

I'd like to thank you and kwang for my new wordfilter.

LOL!!!GG

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=34818..

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=48524&p=2952015#p2952015

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:08 pm
n00bfest Council

Haha Clorox..

n00bfest<3

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:18 pm
Profile YIM
[n00b] Member

is it I AM A HOMOSEXUAL ?
Edit: YES IT IS!

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:29 pm
[n00b] Member

Tazzaler wrote:

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:44 pm
n00bfest Elder, Senior Admin

Sweet! Honorable Mention. ;)

Nice to know what's up. Thanks for posting the results and letting everyone know what the deal is.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:52 pm
[n00b] Member

woot people know me! i feel so special!

in all srsly: a good staff reflects good leadership, and you GMAN are a damn good community leader. Dont ever undercut yourself, your next Hooker is on me.

n00bfest presents
BROKEN MUGEN

Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:54 am
Profile YIM
Game Server Admin

i love this place, and it's a second home for me, coming here to vent some frustration is what helps me get through the day so i want to thank all of you that make is possible from every last dollar donated to jim, adam and the rest that take the time to uphold the site and servers. n00bfest ♥ to all :)

I advise you all do the same.

Turkey_Testicles wrote:
i love you loke...may your hamwallet forever embrace my dude-piston

Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:55 am
Game Server Admin

Adam - the outline above sounds very good. Thanks for the update. As I write this some drunk chick ...I suspect smirnoff ice....is going off in the back ground...

Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:20 am
[n00b] Member

Did read it and I like the way we're headed.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:47 am
n00bfest Elder, Senior Admin

dirtbag wrote:
Adam - the outline above sounds very good. Thanks for the update. As I write this some drunk chick ...I suspect smirnoff ice....is going off in the back ground...

Shut up Dirtbag. Even Adam knows I don't drink that shit.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:53 am
[n00b] Member

Sweet Pea wrote:
dirtbag wrote:

Shut up Dirtbag. Even Adam knows I don't drink that shit.

All that believe she drinks Smirnoff Ice say aye

AYE

Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:03 am
Retired n00bfest O.G.

There's another word for men who drink Smirnoff... you might know them as women.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:58 am
Game Server Admin

acid_rain wrote:
There's another word for men who drink Smirnoff... you might know them as women.

or Tucker.

tucker: it was yummy ok
Spyda: gotcha.. girly drinks
tucker: http://1000awesomethings.files.wordpres ... ff-ice.jpg
tucker: how is that girly
Spyda: LOOK WHO IS HOLDING THEM

icemaN: i was droppin wards like they were turds

Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:31 am
Retired n00bfest O.G.

1-up!

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:05 am
[n00b] Member

Don't you love n00bfest? The announcement that Gman made turned out to a whether or not Tucker is a girl that drinks Smirnoff.

Well much love to you all and congratz to n00bfest.

BTW Sweetpea...you know you like some Ice.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:02 am
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

Corruption and Season in the rotation FTW! Thanks guys!

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next