n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Dramatically Increase FPS with Vista 
[n00b] Member

Post Dramatically Increase FPS with Vista
You can do this step on XP as well as Vista

Ok first off open up STEAM.
Right click counter-strike source and hit PROPERTIES>SET LAUNCH OPTIONS

-high -tickrate 100

AND if you have 4 GB of RAM add -heapsize 1048576
IF you have a duo core add -threads 2

Mine looks like:
-high -heapsize 1048576 -tickrate 100 -threads 2

Now for the vista part:
hit the START menu and right click COMPUTER and hit PROPERTIES

On the right you will see ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS.
From there hit the ADVANCED tab.

there should be 3 boxes "PERFORMANCE, USER PROFILES, and START UP"

Hit PERFORMANCE.

Hit the bullet "adjust for best performance"

and run CS and see a 50 FPS boost (vista is a CPU/RAM hog and this frees it up quite a bit) I went from 70-90 to 110-150 and I hope it will work for you.

BTW if you don't like browsing vista with this, use it only when you play CS

EDIT:
*This part is for people with a good GPU but bad CPU*
This command makes your FPS more stable, but is not CAL legal (to the best of my knowledge)
-dxlevel 100

for CAL use
-dxlevel 95

IF YOUR GPU SUCKS DICK
Not Cal Legal
-dxlevel 80
cal legal
-dxlevel 81

INTEL USERS add these to your config:
r_3dsky "0"
r_sse "1"
r_sse2 "1"
r_mmx "1"

AMD USERS add these to your config

r_3dnow "1"
r_3dsky "0"
r_sse "1"
r_sse2 "1"
r_mmx "1"

All but r_3dsky are performance based and will not change the quality (so it is assumed) take note of the default before changing any values.

Adjust according to your current setup
-heapsize 262144 512 MB RAM
-heapsize 524288 1 GB RAM
-heapsize 1048576 2 GB RAM

Last edited by State_Radio on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:25 pm
I have NO life....

All it does it revert it back to windows 98 or 95 style which sucks. Let me ask you a question, why did you get your computer with vista on it why didn't you ask for XP. Everyone bitches about Vista I don't know why cause i have never had a problem with it omg it takes up to many this or that and this and more of that. Your CPU should be able to handle it with out any problems unless its a piece of shit ADM then i can see why but the way your talking its a due core probably what a 7400m or something like that. My brothers ADM athlon 64 (single core) at 2.4 scores a 4.9 on Vista rating system so your duo should be no problem.

It was probably one of the worst $209 investments I've ever made. I find it is extremely hard to play video games with a giant dick in your ass.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:49 pm
[n00b] Member

My brothers ADM athlon 64 (single core) at 2.4 scores a 4.9 on Vista rating system so your duo should be no problem.

lolz, I remember my single core AMD Athlon 64, that thing overclocked like nobody's business

Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
Game Server Admin

what if you don't have 64bit and have 3gb ram? what heapsize do you use?

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:42 am
[n00b] Member

Same one, I have it set for 2 GB and above (I should have said that) basically take the amount of bytes you have and cut that in half

I have a 1.8 GHz CPU so it bottlenecks my game and no matter what settings I have I get the same FPS. It's not my card, it's my CPU and freeing up some power improved my FPS.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:30 am
[n00b] Member

All it does it revert it back to windows 98 or 95 style which sucks. Let me ask you a question, why did you get your computer with vista on it why didn't you ask for XP. Everyone bitches about Vista I don't know why cause i have never had a problem with it omg it takes up to many this or that and this and more of that. Your CPU should be able to handle it with out any problems unless its a piece of s**t ADM then i can see why but the way your talking its a due core probably what a 7400m or something like that. My brothers ADM athlon 64 (single core) at 2.4 scores a 4.9 on Vista rating system so your duo should be no problem.

I know right, I have Vista, and its pretty good, i never had any problems with it but i also have 4 gigs of ram on it, so maybe thats why its good.

JoeMamma wrote:
Not everyone is a F*CKING homosexual gun freak like you are.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:41 am
[n00b] Member

doublesven wrote:
All it does it revert it back to windows 98 or 95 style which sucks. Let me ask you a question, why did you get your computer with vista on it why didn't you ask for XP. Everyone bitches about Vista I don't know why cause i have never had a problem with it omg it takes up to many this or that and this and more of that. Your CPU should be able to handle it with out any problems unless its a piece of s**t ADM then i can see why but the way your talking its a due core probably what a 7400m or something like that. My brothers ADM athlon 64 (single core) at 2.4 scores a 4.9 on Vista rating system so your duo should be no problem.

I know right, I have Vista, and its pretty good, i never had any problems with it but i also have 4 gigs of ram on it, so maybe thats why its good.

If you have a CPU problem this will fix it...

DWM.exe uses 40,956k memory with vista's default scheme.
DWM.exe uses 1,520k afterwards.
It's a process you don't want to end, but you can cut down on it's usage.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:05 pm
Game Server Admin

sweet, i'm adding this to my css :) i'll let you know if i see increased performance

Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:19 pm
[n00b] Member

RussianTrix wrote:
doublesven wrote:

If you have a CPU problem this will fix it...

DWM.exe uses 40,956k memory with vista's default scheme.
DWM.exe uses 1,520k afterwards.
It's a process you don't want to end, but you can cut down on it's usage.

nah, i dont have any CPU problems, But thanks for the greate stuff man :) ill save it somewhere maybe for later :)

JoeMamma wrote:
Not everyone is a F*CKING homosexual gun freak like you are.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:15 pm
[n00b] Member

Vista is alright if you have the extra RAM and a CPU to process the extra crap. Also I had better luck using the Ultimate Disto then the Home Premium. The thing with Vista is that damn DX10 is so tempting to switch over for, its well suited for this generation gaming for its ablilty to process the hell out of lighting effects which I swear are like the big trend out there. Also processing wet textures in DX10 is beautiful.

Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:24 am
[n00b] Member

Nothing wrong with vista, but if you have a low end system using my settings will definitely help.

Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]