n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 rates and your ping 
[n00b] Member

Post rates and your ping
ok since i've seen a few topics i'll briefly discuss this since i don't want to present too many variables, it would be too much typing and discussion.

ok, there are about 6 main settings you need to know in cs to affect your ping/fps

rate
cl_cmdrate
cl_updaterate
fps_max
cl_rate
ex_interp

ok, rate/cl_cmdrate/cl_updaterate control the amount of packet flow between you and the server, the higher your cmd/update rates, the more packet flow and in/out information sent, therefor shots and movements register more smooth and better, and everything goes nicer. if you're on a "decent" DSL connection (call it 256+) which most people are on and much higher, i suggest the following settings (these are LAN settings also):

rate 25000
cl_updaterate 101
cl_cmdrate 101
cl_rate 9999

now, once you put these commands in your ping may fluctuate around a litlte but THATS OK, it may only jump up by 20 or may even go down, but all in all registry will be MUCH better and your game will improve drastically. from here to test these settings type in "net_graph 3" in console (no quotes) and it will pop up a display with your fps, in/out k. packets and then a thing that says "choke:" and "loss:" now, if both are at 0 you're doing great and leave these settings. now, if they are fluctuating between 0/1 you're still ok, you may want to lower rate to 20,000 and update/cmd to 100 each just to keep them consistent at 0.

if they're WAY beyond that make sure you're in a good server too, try to find one with the lowest ping and not a terrible amount of players, dont host your own server off your machine and try these, that would get you no where. you can toy around with these settings to your likeing and see what keeps you at a constant 0,, for some people you may have to use 70/70 50/50 etc etc.

ex_interp 0.01

ok this is a much more complicated subject but ill try and keep its imple, interp is what it sounds like, an abbreviation for "interpretation", (EDIT by acid: Interp stands for INTERPOLATION, not interpretation.) say im using "ex_interp 0.1" (which, is the default but also bugged especially when in combination with low rates or even high ones). i'm playing on b platform and peeking B tunnel, a terrorist peeks and i dont shoot, he goes to fall back, on his screen he may be completely behind the wall but to you that last second of him is still on the screen, and even if you shoot and hes behind the wall (barely) the game will register it as a kill with 0.1.

sounds great, right? wrong, this is a big advantage and can go as far as be considered an illegal CVAR (short for Client Variable) and on LAN it will always be .01, going from using .1 to .01 is a weird feeling but trust me, after i had a consistent switch when i started playing consistently my aim and accuracy went up DRAMATICALLY and the game is much fairer. once you are actually "interped" by someone you'll know what i mean, you may be peeking mid doors on dust2 with a glock, your opponnent at mid has a usp and you fall back behind the door and he headshots you, congrats, you just got interped.

now, if you change all your rates this setting should go to .01, if it doesn't, change it yourself. if the models you're playing against/see seem really glitch, change your ex_interp to 0.05 and see how that feels, 0.01 to 0.05 is all legal and the same but .01 is best in combination with 101/101 cmd/update rates and 25000 rate.

now, once this is all set that doesn't always mean they will stay the same (specifically interp), if you join a public server (and i can tell from alot of the way you guys talk/play/show ss's that you most are pubbers) the servers rates may be lower then what yours are, so to compensate the server in essence lowers your rates so it can keep up with your packet in and out's and information flow, and you may join one server and check your interp (i check mine obsessively, just type ex_interp in console and see what it says, always have it at .01 like i said) and it may be at .1, which blows because it means you have to restart your CS in order for it to reset back to what you have it at (being .01).

if you join a server and it changes it to .1, i recommend restarting cs asap and joining a different server, always play with .01 and trust me when i say this, it will improve your aim dramatically.

p.s: *with source the command should be cl_interp 0.01 but the rest of these are the same. all these settings are 1.6 specific but they all transfer to CZ and source except cl_interp 0.01 is specific for source*.

fps_max 101

no reason this should be anything lower or higher, 100 is the cap that is set with almost any refresh rate (60hz-150) and you don't need to set this any higher, developer is a useless commanand and having it on only slows down your running speed and lags other internet things (my vent lagged terribly when i tried it). having fps_max at 300 or 999 rather then 101 will not make your fps any higher, it may display higher but it wont feel any higher and wont change, trust me on this.

that's all i can think of off the top of my head but if you see any mistakes or think you can correct me on anything feel free to drop me a PM or IM me at k9nacL, i can also help any of you with internet speed specific rates or any CS questions, been playing the game way too long and i know everything about it in and out.

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:28 pm
[n00b] Member

i read thru the first 2 or 3 paragraphs...but then my eyes started to hurt soo... if i have a pentium 4 2.8 gigz with 256 ram is default setting good or shood i try ur way?

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:32 pm
[n00b] Member

these are for ping, if you told me your internet connection i could tell you that.

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:42 pm
[n00b] Member

well i got dls but doesnt spd have nething to do wif it???

Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:55 pm
[n00b] Member

these RATES are all about internet, computer speed doesn't really effect any of them in any way shape or form unless your computer is absolutely terrible

Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:01 pm
[n00b] Member

ok then...so my komp isnt absolutly terrible so....yeah....

Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:04 pm
[n00b] Member

you have to restart steam when you change your interp? when i change it to .01 on n00bfest it says it has to round up to .045 ....

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:01 am
[n00b] Member

you have to change your cmd/update rate to match it, make sure they are at least 100 on both, it syncs in. i get .01 on all noobfest servers, so.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:23 am
[n00b] Member

Any chance I could know what the defualt settings are? My choke only ever went up to maybe 2 or 3 if a lot of action was going on... now it stays at 30-100.... no fun!
Nevermind... got the defaults from the other site. one is 20... one is 30... and the rate is 9999?

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:59 am
[n00b] Member

you have to change your cmd/update rate to match it, make sure they are at least 100 on both, it syncs in. i get .01 on all noobfest servers, so.

if my updaterate is above 30 i get a lot of choke though.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:30 am
[n00b] Member

try adjusting your rate around and setting cl_rate, if you cant go higher than 30 then that's ok, but it's ridiculous in the servers when some kid is using cl_update/cmd at like 20 and rate 5000 on a good cable connection, it hurts my eyes to even spec people like that

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:52 pm
[n00b] Member

I done everything you said to do. MY choke also went up to 30 to 100, but I did notice my shots were registering better despite the choke problem.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:12 pm
[n00b] Member

im confused...ill just ask a friend to do it insted

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:13 pm
Forum Newbie

Do these rates only apply to 1.6? i had tweaked mine in 1.6 but haven't tried to do any tweaking with CZ.

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:35 pm
[n00b] Member

yes they work in CZ i'm still perfecting mine since they change from server to server.

Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:34 pm
[n00b] Member

dude 256 ram... u should really buy a stick of 52 or something i had 256 starting out and loading cz took like 5 mins to join a server and sometimes they change server when i just join so that was a pain the 512 ram upgrade would really help you.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:35 pm
[n00b] Member

If you have all of your cl_updaterate/rate/cl_cmdrate set up the way you like it (no lag or choke on a good server) I believe you are able to simply use ex_interp 0 and it will change the interp to a setting that corresponds to the other commands. Correct me if I'm wrong, lvgamer.
Do you have to change the interp constantly? or will it stay by itself after you restart steam once?

ALSO: I remember trying this once, after reading about it on the CAL forums (or something like it). I set the interp to 0, which automatically set it for me to around 0.03 - This made the models look laggy as shit! I couldnt stand it. I talked to the CAL people and they all agreed that it was based on preference and playing style, and that most of them didn't use it. I'll try again and get back to you. Just putting my 2cents in :wink:

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:29 am
[n00b] Member

should the updaterate and cmdrate be equal?
and would changing the rate be better or worse than changing the updaterate/cmdrate?

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:49 am
[n00b] Member

yes you can do ex_interp 0 and if you hae the proper cmd/update rate (100 or 101) it will automatically go to .01. rate is more ping affecting then cmd/update rate are, if you change cmd/update you dont always have to change rate but you may if your internet is worse, ie; rate 25000 update/cmd rate 101, rate 15000 update/cmd rate both 70 or something, not always the case but sometimes

Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:04 am
[n00b] Member

aiight i set up a script (thx doc) to make it easier to adjust my settings...

cmd_rate 30 (never changes)
rate 250000 (idk just works)

cl_updaterate 20<x<100
ex_interp .02 (if its set too low then it automatically raises to the lowest acceptable setting)

Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next