n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Questions for Linux gurus 
[n00b] Member

Post Questions for Linux gurus
Since a friend gave me her laptop to buy a new one, I decided to have a little fun with Linux. I installed ubuntu 12.04 LTS and it works like a charm. Now, I just want to try to install Chrome OS on it, but I've encountered some difficulties so far. I'm trying to install the Vanilla build made by hexxeh. Problem is, even though I create a good bootable usb drive, I keep having the "Not enough memory to load specified image" error.

Now, I know it literally means that I don't have enough memory in my computer. My question remains: is it possible to by-pass that? Do you know of a way to force install the OS without having to add external memory to the laptop? I'm no pro of Linux little secrets, but I know my way into some useful terminal commands. But please be as clear as you can.

My laptop is a quite old Gateway running on Intel Atom N450, 1 GB memory, 250 GB HDD.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:17 am
Game Server Admin

Post Re: Questions for Linux gurus
There might be a boot flag that you can pass in for low memory systems. But if you need that the system might run like shit if you try to do anything.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:57 pm
[n00b] Member

Yeah that wasn't a good idea to bypass it in the end. It [obviously] ended by just running slow as F*CK.

Instead, I installed jolicloud OS, which is a mix of Ubuntu, ChromeOS, and many other stuff. Super light OS, fast, online storage, and it's compatible with most of the most useful applications (like Drive, Facebook, Gmail, Vimeo, Youtube, photoshop, flash, etc.). Boots in seconds, turns off even faster. I absolutely love it so far, highly recommend to give it a try, they provide an .img file to dual boot as well, and you can also try it online on their website before installing it. It doesn't run steam though. I use it on my laptops for work and school stuff so it doesn't matter if I can't play games on it.

It's light, simple, fast as F*CK, and online. Boner.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:50 am
[HNIC] Stзamroller ω

It's a live image. If you don't have enough memory to create the ramdisk for the system to boot, then you can't install it because you can't boot to it. You just need more memory.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
-- Hunter S Thompson

Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:13 am
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

Yeah that's what I figured. I tried installing it on another laptop which had enough, and even then it worked, but it was slow as F*CK.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:21 am
n00bfest Elder, Senior Admin

Unless you're programming or running a server, or own a MAC, I don't really see the reason to run a linux-based os.

strangelegend@n00bfest.com

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:59 am
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

It's actually about ChromeOS. Ubuntu 12.04LTS is a pretty good OS. It's stable, runs all the programs I need it to run, and it boots pretty F*CKING fast compared to windows. I pretty much installed it at first just to F*CK around, but now it's my main OS on every PC I have. It's a bit of getting used to with the terminal, but it's really not that bad.

ChromeOS though, the Vanilla open-source by Hexxeh sucks a bit though. You need a beast PC to run an OS that could normally run on a low end one. It was mostly released to help develop the OS and the apps running on it so it's no surprise it's not as stable as the ChromeOS they sell with the notebooks.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]