n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hard drive help. 
[n00b] Member

Post Hard drive help.
So i have a new computer now, installed windows 7 64bit and some steam games which equals 59gb. I have a 120 gb hard drive with no music or movies and its already full and I was wondering where the other 60gb went to or how you can find that out.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:16 pm
[n00b] Member

Post Re: Hard drive help.
Have you defragged and stuff?

"OH BABY YOU BOUGHT ME A HALLMARK CARD AND SOME F*CKING ROSES. PLEASE BUST A LOAD IN MY SNATCH AND LET'S MAKE A CRITTER"
"LOL K"
*SPLAT*

-Gman

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:32 pm
Game Server Admin

Defrag.... I don't think so. If it's 120GB, then - by the power of deduction - it's the SSD. Defrag is no-no.

1) turn off hibernation - not only in power settings but aslo run "powercfg -h off" from the command line
2) turn off the paging file (if you have enough RAM - 16 GB+ [8GB will do too]). start -> right-click on Computer -> properties -> advanced system settings -> advanced tab -> performance settings -> advanced tab -> Virtual memory Change -> either choose "no paging file" or set it to bare minimum (like 1GB or so)

these two steps will give free space on the HDD/SSD equal to +- double of your RAM.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

it says I only have 8gb for the virtual memory change and the lowest I can is 16mb. So I'll try that out, and why dont you defrag a ssd?

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:18 pm
[n00b] Member

Oh and I have 8gb of ram.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:19 pm
Game Server Admin

The defrag is to have the file part located physically next to each other to speed up reads, and to keep free space in as few as possible places - speed up writes. But this performance increase is noticeable only for the standard HDD where the read/write speed depends on the disk RPM and the distance between the sectors that have to be accessed. The SSD is more like RAM where there's is not mechanical part that affects the performance of the I/O operations. For SSDs we have something called TRIM, but this is more on the OS end and server different purpose (but I may be wrong).

Anyhow - back to the issue: remember to disable hibernate. Next thing would be going though the folder structure and checking what actually you have on the disk. I recommend installing Total Commander and enabling the "Show hidden/system files". then you can check how much space each folder take (hit space to select and wait for a sec). You can do that using standard windows explorer.

Actually it may be the steam games that take so much place. I have CS:S and the CS:GO and the steam folder is over 11GB.

Attachment:
tc01.png
tc01.png [ 21.34 KiB | Viewed 3824 times ]

Attachment:
tc02.png
tc02.png [ 30.67 KiB | Viewed 3824 times ]

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]