n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 video card problems 
Game Server Admin

Post video card problems
so i had a pny geforce 9800 gt in my rig

found out my brother had a bfg geforce 9800 gtx+ sitting around he wasn't using. so i put it in my rig. i forgot to connect the power connectors so when i loaded up windows it gave me the message "graphics card not receiving enough power, GPU was lowered to prevent dmg, etc etc etc" and had a red indicator light on the card. so i said whatever and played a couple of rounds of CS:GO before i went to bed.(it was late and i was tired) but there were no problems at this point.

next day: i power off my rig and open up the case. there are two six pin connectors on top of the card and one two pin connector. i used the two six pin connectors to power the card(one directly from the PSU and the other was a 6pin to 2x four pin connector to PSU). put everything back together, cabled up the rig and turned it back on.

so windows boots up and there is no error message or "not enough power to graphics card message" nor the red indicator light on the card. so far, everything is working alright. i booted up CS:go and joined our server. once i got to the game screen it sat for about 3 seconds and then the screen flashed black for 5 seconds. it did this repeatedly to point where my computer got a blue screen.

i rebooted the PC and it started to have the same screen problems(it would flash black for 5 seconds then come back) but while i was at desktop it wasn't going to blue screen, it would just load back to desk top and give me this error message: "display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 301.42 has stopped responding and has recovered" and this would happen frequently.

i checked out a couple websites for fixes, all the while consistenly getting the black screen as well as a couple crashes. after a bit i found this forum: http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-card ... nding.html

i tried that and nothing worked. at one point the guy who started the thread said he put in a different card just to avoid the problem. so i ended up doing the same thing.

i'm back using the 9800 gt and it still works fine.

but any advice on what is up with the other card would be nice. i would like to use it, but if not, meh. i didn't pay for it.

AnalChowMein wrote:
I will spoon high, oh yes I will spoon. Most likely naked and in a sauna sweating out our sins.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:58 pm
Game Server Admin

Post Re: video card problems
What wattage is your power supply? Might not be high enough to support it. Those high end cards need like 300w minimum just for the vid cards. And sometimes there are issues if you install a new card without disabling the other onboard drivers.

Beers For Boobs Foundation © 2009-2012

Helping Sober Bitties, Show More Titties.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:30 am
Game Server Admin

well, i had completely uninstalled/reinstalled the graphics drivers when i put the new card in, but other than that i have a 630w power supply.

AnalChowMein wrote:
I will spoon high, oh yes I will spoon. Most likely naked and in a sauna sweating out our sins.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:42 pm
Game Server Admin

maybe he wasn't using it cause the card was bad?

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:32 pm
n00bfest Elder, Senior Admin

Yeah, sounds like the card is fucked off.

strangelegend@n00bfest.com

Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Game Server Admin

Evan, If Im not mistaking that's the old BFG that he was running in his Nvidia edition Thermaltake case or one he acquired from some left over parts from one of my many builds when we lived together. Does it have a copper or silver heatsink? Does the heatsink cover the whole card or just the GPU?

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:48 pm
Spammer Hopeful

card is borked most likely, you can lower the graphics clocks in windows and see if it works.

when windows said low power mode or whatever when it worked the first time, basically all it does is downclock the card anyways, it will probably work.

That's also part of the generation that I have seen people bake in the oven to fix minor soldering issues.

STOP FLIRTING WITH ME!

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]