n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Wireless router problem 
n00bfest Retired Ancient, Senior Admin

Post Wireless router problem
Ok so when my son turns on his ps3 i get knocked off xbox live.It doesn't effect my laptop or pc but when that ps3 gets power xbox live is going down.And when i say no effect on other stuff i mean not even a hint of slowdown.I have a cheap ass belkin wireless router and fiber.Ive been using the router just plug and play no security for the last 5 years or so,never had this problem till about a year ago when i got him a ps3.I usually just make him get off the ps3 when i play,i dont play much.But football season is here and its annoying waiting on him to get finished before i can play.Speed should not be an issue.I think its something about them both using the same ip or some priority shit but im lost when it comes to routers.I could buy a new one but im old and stingy.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:21 pm
[n00b] Member

Post Re: Wireless router problem
You can manually assign IP addresses to each device in your router's web browser utility.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:13 pm
Game Server Admin

It could also be a port issue. Make sure your ports are open and not conflicting,
Also it could be a priority issue or an Ip issue.
I would go into your router settings
Enable Port forwarding On the necessary ports for both devices
Make sure they are both assigned different Ip addresses
Disable any firewall
Change settings on both system device and router to Manual Ip settings (default is usually allowing the router to decide an Ip)

I would also try giving your router a firmware update if possible and power cycling before trying once again.
If all else fails you might have a defective router or need to use one device wired and the other wireless if they both operate on 2.4 ghz technology, I have heard that sometime they can and will interfere and cause issues.

BEST SOLUTION BUY A F*CKING PC (i understand if you dont cause it gets expensive)

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:23 am

Well i checked and all the ip addresses are the same except the last numbers so im assuming thats ok.Guess ill just buy a new router and if that doesn't work ill get the cable company to install one of theirs,for a monthly fee of course.

Lol,maybe ill check into a pc.I always did want to to play pc games.

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:28 pm
[n00b] Member

Login to the router and disable the UPnP option. Also go to the PS3 settings and disable that service as well.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:51 am

It was disabled on the router but enabled on the ps3.Dug around and finally got it disabled on the ps3 and BAMMMM!!!! we have a winner.Thanks a ton man,ive been trying for a solution to this forever.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:08 pm
[n00b] Member

Glad to hear it worked for you, I had a similar problem a few years back with my PC getting disconnected whenever my son turned on his PS3. Ran a packet trace and saw a ton of UPnP discovery multicasts coming from the PS3. It is a useless service so I killed it and everything started working. I figured you were probably having the same problem.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]