n00bfest.com
Home Forum phpBB3 Shoutbox Servers Teamspeak Admins Donate FAQ
Stats Contact Us!

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 HP Photosmart 5514 B111h New cartidges print blank 
[n00b] Member

Post HP Photosmart 5514 B111h New cartidges print blank
So I'm troubleshooting someone's printer, and I've looked up all of the documentation and help topics on the HP website, and I tried to contact an HP representative via telephone and through the website help panel. I was on hold for like 8 minutes and the automated voice said they were experiencing unusually high volume. It must have been the same for online chat because the chat panel remained blank and even when I typed something it never showed up in the frame.

The ink cartridges used are the proper ones for the printer, and they're all brand new. The HP software and the printer itself detect every single cartridge. The software states that the color cartridges are roughly half-full despite being brand new, and that the black is completely full.

When printing anything at all, if there is black/grey to be printed it works fine. If there is any sort of color, the printer just leaves a blank space as if it had printed or tried to print but no ink came out and therefore the space is left blank. For example, if I print out a black and white webpage with blue hyperlinks, the hyperlinks just don't appear.

If anyone has had this issue and knows of a fix other than buying even more ink cartridges, I'd much appreciate your help.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:59 pm
[HNIC] Stзamroller ω

Post Re: HP Photosmart 5514 B111h New cartidges print blank
Is the film still over the little plate that the ink comes through?

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
-- Hunter S Thompson

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Game Server Admin

Gman wrote:

This.....

And LMFAO if it still is!!

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:18 pm
[n00b] Member

t0keN wrote:
Gman wrote:

This.....

And LMFAO if it still is!!

No, the sponge is visible and inky and if I touched it, I'd probably dye my finger.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:15 am
n00bfest Council

TOUCH IT

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:07 pm
Profile YIM
[n00b] Member

mossyoak wrote:
TOUCH IT

next time I'm at the place with the printer, I could bring a pair of gloves so I don't stain my skin.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:06 pm
Game Server Admin

Im sure the printer makes use of test pages in both black/white and in color. I haven't seen a photosmart that doesn't. Run that then tell us if you experience the same issue, if not, could be a driver issue. I highly doubt this is the case, I suspect a hardware failure i.e. inkjet spray nozzle may be clogged or the cartridge itself is bad, but the printer does use 564xl which are individual color cartridges(1 magenta, 1 cyan and 1 yellow) and the chances of all three nozzles going bad at the same time are low. HP marks their ink cartridges with an "expiration date" make sure the cartridges aren't out of this time frame because they could be dried out or partially dried out.

and Gman, I have never seen an HP cartridge with a film over the spout before, and I've been working in an HP photolab for 3+ years now, unless you bought off brand cartridges that shouldn't be an issue.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:36 pm
[n00b] Member

cybrslsh wrote:
Im sure the printer makes use of test pages in both black/white and in color. I haven't seen a photosmart that doesn't. Run that then tell us if you experience the same issue, if not, could be a driver issue. I highly doubt this is the case, I suspect a hardware failure i.e. inkjet spray nozzle may be clogged or the cartridge itself is bad, but the printer does use 564xl which are individual color cartridges(1 magenta, 1 cyan and 1 yellow) and the chances of all three nozzles going bad at the same time are low. HP marks their ink cartridges with an "expiration date" make sure the cartridges aren't out of this time frame because they could be dried out or partially dried out.

and Gman, I have never seen an HP cartridge with a film over the spout before, and I've been working in an HP photolab for 3+ years now, unless you bought off brand cartridges that shouldn't be an issue.

The cartridges are the exact ones listed on the inside of the printer itself, which lists the cartridge and also the exact same as the HP software links to on their store. I've run every single diagnostic available and on the test pages it prints out all of the black but the color is just non-existent. The printer SAYS there is ink but it's not using it.

Also, the printer is barely a month old.

It only uses 564xl for the black. It uses regular 564 for the colors, because 564xl is double-width and black is the most common ink.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:44 pm
[HNIC] Stзamroller ω

If it's less than a month old, call HP. It probably has a warranty.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
-- Hunter S Thompson

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
[n00b] Member

Gman wrote:

Yeah I did, I got a message saying "we're so F*CKING busy we don't give a shit how long you wait."

Then I tried the online chat, and nobody showed up.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:11 am
[n00b] Member

Kwang! wrote:
Gman wrote:

Yeah I did, I got a message saying "we're so F*CKING busy we don't give a shit how long you wait."

return it at the store and stop wasting time with a F*CKING inkjet printer

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:13 am
[n00b] Member

virus wrote:
Kwang! wrote:
Gman wrote:

return it at the store and stop wasting time with a F*CKING inkjet printer

It's my grandmother's and she probably ordered it from HSN or QVC.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:03 pm
[n00b] Member

Kwang! wrote:
Kwang! wrote:
Gman wrote:

return it at thdmother's and she probably ordered it from HSN or QVC.

Those are the worst repair jobs. Either way, as Gman said you may have some luck with HP support.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:53 pm
Game Server Admin

Is the ink cartridge recycled, I.e. off brand wal-mart ink or is it HP brand ink cartridge? Recycled ink tends to not get electronically reset properly therefore causing a few hiccups and other issues within the printer. Usually this isn't an issue, maybe the printer will display low ink levels but still prints normally other times it might resemble your issue.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:50 pm
[n00b] Member

cybrslsh wrote:
Is the ink cartridge recycled, I.e. off brand wal-mart ink or is it HP brand ink cartridge? Recycled ink tends to not get electronically reset properly therefore causing a few hiccups and other issues within the printer. Usually this isn't an issue, maybe the printer will display low ink levels but still prints normally other times it might resemble your issue.

The ink cartridges were retail HP cartridges that were factory sealed, not recycled. It displays nearly full ink levels for the cartridges in question, but only prints the black, it actually leaves blank spaces where the other ink is supposed to go.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:33 am
[n00b] Member

Sounds to me like you have a defective cartridge. The print signal is going through to the cartridge or the printer firmware would be throwing an error. Try replacing the color cartridge and if it works send the other one in for a replacement. HP will likely RMA it.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:42 pm
[n00b] Member

Shredder wrote:
Sounds to me like you have a defective cartridge. The print signal is going through to the cartridge or the printer firmware would be throwing an error. Try replacing the color cartridge and if it works send the other one in for a replacement. HP will likely RMA it.

Yeah it seems to be what it is, and will probably be what I do. The question I have is, how did I end up with three defective cartridges at once? lol

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:17 pm
Game Server Admin

sometimes HP 564 ink gets sold as a combo pack. If she purchased them herself, this is likely the reason, if you personally purchased them then dumb luck or a bad batch from HP.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:02 pm
[n00b] Member

cybrslsh wrote:
sometimes HP 564 ink gets sold as a combo pack. If she purchased them herself, this is likely the reason, if you personally purchased them then dumb luck or a bad batch from HP.

That makes sense, that it'd be a batch issue, as that's usually how things go in manufacturing, entire batches get screwed up which is why for example, they'll ask for a lot # or batch # when putting in a customer complaint. :D

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]